Mini-toggle to replace five-way rotary?

Molly

Hello folks.

Do you know if anybody manufactures a mini-toggle switch with five positions (so, looks like the one in my McCarty but I can still retain all the tone / pickup selection options of the five-way rotary)?

Don't know how the rotary has survived this long. Drives me crazy...

Thanks.

Molly and his new Splawn amp :)

I don't think this is possible, as the "throw" would be too short. It would be very difficult to get the complex switching that a rotary switch does in such a small package.

It might however be possible to wire in a 3-way toggle, a push-pull for coil tap, and a push-pull for parallel/series (or mini-toggles). This would get you close to the 5-way , it would compromise the inside/outside coil options, but add in some additional tones too.

I've had some Custom 22's that had 5 way rotary. I just replaced it with the push pull drop in kit from the PRS store. I never researched other options. I wonder what options there might be for someone with more needs than I.

That is interesting for sure. Wonder how easy/hard it is to control?

I've had some Custom 22's that had 5 way rotary. I just replaced it with the push pull drop in kit from the PRS store. I never researched other options. I wonder what options there might be for someone with more needs than I.

Didn't see this post earlier sorry. Wasn't aware of the drop-in kit. Will research it. Thanks.

The drop in kit won't give you tonal options you had with the 5-way, you'll get more in total but it won't be the same (hence why I was wondering about a series/parallel push-pull):

ROTARY POSITIONS:

Position 10: Treble pickup
Position 9: Outside coils- deep and clear - parallel
Position 8: Series single coils – Warm version of the "in between the treble and middle pickups"
Position 7: Parallel single coils – Crisp version of the "in between the treble and middle pickups"
Position 6: Bass pickup

McCARTY SWITCHING:

PUSH-PULL DOWN POSITIONS

Position 1: Treble Humbucker
Position 2: Both Humbuckers
Position 3: Bass Humbucker

PUSH-PULL UP POSITIONS

Position 1: Bridge Single Coil
Position 2: Both Single Coils
Position 3: Neck Single Coil

Back