McCarty v McCarty 594 plus 57/08 Question

AchillesPilot

Hey everyone. Haven't posted on here in ages (this might even be my first). Hope I'm in the right place. To cut a long story short, I sent my guitar to PRS a while back to have a finish repair done, and they have just informed me as they are having difficulties they will send me a new guitar for the (still quite considerable!) repair costs. The guitar I sent them was my much loved SC58, but it often got left on the rack as my R9 (am I allowed to mention that on here ;)) always won the day for me. I'm thinking I should take the opportunity to get something a little different that will get some more play time. So it's between a McCarty and a McCarty 594. There's no shop near me that has the 2017 versions so I'm wondering if anyone who has played them can chime in? Is the 594 essentially an LP double cut? Is the new adjustable bridge on the McCarty as good as it looks?
Although there's loads online about the 594 I can't find much about the 2017 McCarty.

On a different note, I stripped the hardware off my SC58 before I sent it in, so luckily I am left with a set of 57/08s amongst other things. Not sure whether to sell or keep yet - what's the going rate on a set of used but well looked after 57/08s?

Thanks for any help :)

Last edited:
If your R9 floated your best best thinking you might think about a 594 Single cut and many really love the 594 ( both single and double cut )
The McCarty will have a 25" scale standard PRS type switching and a thicker body than the Customs.
If you really want something different might I suggest a 408 or a 509 even a DTG

Yeah, I'm still thinking something vintage inspired so will probably avoid the Customs. I know I'd love the SC 594 but its too similar to my LP to justify having both hence why I'm looking for something a bit different!

The 594 is killer! A LP was my #1 until I got a core 594. I haven't looked back!
There's also a 70+ page 594 love fest thread on here you should check out. Tons of good info and pics.
Good luck!

I've seen the big 594 Singlecut thread but I know what to expect from that, is there one for the double cutaway? Cheers!

I have a GOM (DC)594 and an R9. They are definitely in the same arena. The 594 gets close to the sound of the R9, but is not the LP sound. The 594 is more versatile and has many wonderful tones in it. IMO there is enough of a difference to justify and be happy with both.

594 is a cool guitar, I haven't compared to an R9 or SC so I can't really comment there. I know I want a 594 someday or maybe an SC594 that I haven't played yet.
I'd keep the 5708 pickups if I were you(or sell them to me:D) - I don't have a guess as to what the hardware is worth. Not sure I've seen it for sale ever.

I have an R8 and a DC 594. While the 594 gets close, it doesn't quite have that "thing" the R8 has. That growl. It's close though. That being said, I play the 594 much more often than the R8. It feels better, I like the neck more, it's better balanced. Not to mention fret access and those coil splits! The 594 feels like a well worn baseball mit.

Awesome, cheers guys. I think I am leaning towards the DC 594. And thanks for the link above, I'll have a good look through that now. There seems to be hardly anything out there (written or vids) regarding the 2017 McCarty, except for the pics and specs on the PRS website showing the new adjustable bridge. I guess the 594 has stolen most of the thunder!

Awesome, cheers guys. I think I am leaning towards the DC 594. And thanks for the link above, I'll have a good look through that now. There seems to be hardly anything out there (written or vids) regarding the 2017 McCarty, except for the pics and specs on the PRS website showing the new adjustable bridge. I guess the 594 has stolen most of the thunder!

Yeah the 594 is a game changer. It is like a vintage LP squished into a PRS shape, which alone made me want it, but it's so much more. The build, hardware, pickups, and coil splits make it about as good as any guitar can get.

You may like the regular McCarty as something different from the LP, though. The longer scale gives it a bit more snap to the feel and tone. Sometimes I like the simpler operation of master volume and tone vs. four knob.

I have a GOM (DC)594 and an R9. They are definitely in the same arena. The 594 gets close to the sound of the R9, but is not the LP sound. The 594 is more versatile and has many wonderful tones in it. IMO there is enough of a difference to justify and be happy with both.

I like the way you're thinking! :cool:

If your R9 floated your best best thinking you might think about a 594 Single cut and many really love the 594 ( both single and double cut )
The McCarty will have a 25" scale standard PRS type switching and a thicker body than the Customs.
If you really want something different might I suggest a 408 or a 509 even a DTG

Actually the Mccarty 594 have a 24.594" scale not 25" and underwound 58/15 pickups (LT) - the 58/15 pups in the 2017 run are used I guess only in a model (not a great succes compared to 57/08 I'd say)

Actually the Mccarty 594 have a 24.594" scale not 25" and underwound 58/15 pickups (LT) - the 58/15 pups in the 2017 run are used I guess only in a model (not a great succes compared to 57/08 I'd say)
The old McCarty is 25" scale, which they still make. Has the stoptail rather than the 2 piece bridge.

Oh, the adjustable stoptail on the McCarty is awesome BTW. If you decided to go that way, it's a great bridge,

Back