McCarty 594 SE Bridge Holes Not Drilled Correctly

3TPhMCd.mp4

I got the replacement today and - it has a bad tuner on the D string. About a 1/4 turn of just loose play as you can see in the vid. It will tune the string but doesn’t hold. How the tech missed THIS while setting the intonation blows me away.
Dang.

Last edited:
More details…
The vendor‘s shipping department sent the replacement 594 out before it hit the bench. They then immediately recalled it before FedEx delivered it so it had a couple extra days of travel before it got back and hit the bench.
Supposedly, a tech then checked it over and set the intonation and shipped it saying all is now well.
So, it arrived today.
i unpacked it, plugged it in to check the action (nice), tuning (all strings were slightly flat), and the intonation - it was dead on. So far so good, right?
Well, not quite…
As you saw in the vid the D string tuner is messed up. It has about a 1/4 turn of loose floppy play. I thought maybe the knob was loose on the shaft but it’s solid - they turn together fine. There is something amiss inside the gearing and that’s a new one.
So I contacted the vendor again and they offered to send me a new tuner after first asking if the string was sticking in the nut (it’s not and moves freely).
So now I’m mulling it over trying to decide on what to do, whether swap the tuner out (not that big of a deal) or just get another replacement, OR spend more money and step to an S2 which of course is another thousand bucks.
It’s frustrating because these guitars play nice with great tone. Hmmm…

Hmmm, tough call on stepping up to an S2. I sure like mine. None of these issues should happen. Sometimes things just happen regardless though. Once you get the tuner sorted on the SE, you should be golden?

My S2 always had a scratchy tone pot. Deoxit made it better for a while. It quit working pretty much at all. PRS is taking care of it as soon as I round up a box for shipping it. Sometimes stuff just happens.

Best with whatever option you choose. My S2 is nice for sure.

OUCH! What A Bummer!! I Am Sorry You Are Experiencing This. :(

More details…
The vendor‘s shipping department sent the replacement 594 out before it hit the bench. They then immediately recalled it before FedEx delivered it so it had a couple extra days of travel before it got back and hit the bench.
Supposedly, a tech then checked it over and set the intonation and shipped it saying all is now well.
So, it arrived today.
i unpacked it, plugged it in to check the action (nice), tuning (all strings were slightly flat), and the intonation - it was dead on. So far so good, right?
Well, not quite…
As you saw in the vid the D string tuner is messed up. It has about a 1/4 turn of loose floppy play. I thought maybe the knob was loose on the shaft but it’s solid - they turn together fine. There is something amiss inside the gearing and that’s a new one.
So I contacted the vendor again and they offered to send me a new tuner after first asking if the string was sticking in the nut (it’s not and moves freely).
So now I’m mulling it over trying to decide on what to do, whether swap the tuner out (not that big of a deal) or just get another replacement, OR spend more money and step to an S2 which of course is another thousand bucks.
It’s frustrating because these guitars play nice with great tone. Hmmm…
Frustrating as it's been, if you're happy with everything else about the current one you have, I'd say have them send the replacement tuner and keep that guitar

Well, after all was said and done, my vendor (who has been beyond great to work with) gave me a choice to have them return this guitar and send me yet another/third new (same make/model and color) guitar, return this guitar for a full refund and buy a completely different guitar, or send me a replacement tuner and a new set of strings, or refund me 10% of the purchase price and I still keep this guitar in hand with no effect on warranty etc. (All shipping has been free.)

Since I love this guitar (for many reasons including - and ESPECIALLY - the tone, looks, neck fit to my hand and overall feel) and because I was already looking into changing all the tuners to a locking style, I opted to take the 10% refund and order a set of PRS Vintage Style Locking Tuners. The intonation and action on this guitar is dead on and the string saddles are in the middle-ish range of their travel as you can see in the pic below.

Perfect. Could not be happier (other than for that aggravating tuner).

If anyone has a better replacement locking tuner I should consider please let me know?

DwM9MiE.jpg

Well, after all was said and done, my vendor (who has been beyond great to work with) gave me a choice to have them return this guitar and send me yet another/third new (same make/model and color) guitar, return this guitar for a full refund and buy a completely different guitar, or send me a replacement tuner and a new set of strings, or refund me 10% of the purchase price and I still keep this guitar in hand with no effect on warranty etc. (All shipping has been free.)

Since I love this guitar (for many reasons including - and ESPECIALLY - the tone, looks, neck fit to my hand and overall feel) and because I was already looking into changing all the tuners to a locking style, I opted to take the 10% refund and order a set of PRS Vintage Style Locking Tuners. The intonation and action on this guitar is dead on and the string saddles are in the middle-ish range of their travel as you can see in the pic below.

If anyone has a better replacement locking tuner I should consider please let me know?

DwM9MiE.jpg
Awesome!!!

DwM9MiE.jpg
That's great! The PRS Vintage lockers are what you need. I've installed them on a few non-locking tuner guitars with the Vintage style tuners.

That's great! The PRS Vintage lockers are what you need. I've installed them on a few non-locking tuner guitars with the Vintage style tuners.
Having never changed tuners on this guitar before do you have any suggestions? The new tuners arrived yesterday and it includes new grommets that the shafts rotate within - do I need to change those as well?
Is there any special way to remove the factory tuners (and grommets if need be) after removing the strings other than simply unscrew the tuner body etc?
Thanks!

Having never changed tuners on this guitar before do you have any suggestions? The new tuners arrived yesterday and it includes new grommets that the shafts rotate within - do I need to change those as well?
Is there any special way to remove the factory tuners (and grommets if need be) after removing the strings other than simply unscrew the tuner body etc?
Thanks!
Just take the screws out and the tuners should drop right out. Put one of the new ones in with the stock collar in there and see how the post fits in it. If it fits like they do with the ones that came with it, leave the stock collars in. I wouldn't change them unless the new tuners won't fit in the stock collar or if they are too sloppy in the stock ones.

Just take the screws out and the tuners should drop right out. Put one of the new ones in with the stock collar in there and see how the post fits in it. If it fits like they do with the ones that came with it, leave the stock collars in. I wouldn't change them unless the new tuners won't fit in the stock collar or if they are too sloppy in the stock ones.
Thanks Jason. That’s kind of what I was thinking. Is any lubricant recommended on the shaft before assembling?

Thanks!
You don't need the grommets. Just unscrew them from the back of the headstock, and screw the new one in. No lubricants needed.

I might suggest Gotoh locking tuners. Often a bit cheaper than most other name brand alternatives, but they are all made in Japan and work perfectly. I have them on all my axes. Gotoh even makes the Phase 3 tuners too. However, caution: PRS SE vintage tuners have smaller holes than most replacement varieties, so you may need to drill a bit larger if you go this route. A step drill bit will do it.

I might suggest Gotoh locking tuners. Often a bit cheaper than most other name brand alternatives, but they are all made in Japan and work perfectly. I have them on all my axes. Gotoh even makes the Phase 3 tuners too. However, caution: PRS SE vintage tuners have smaller holes than most replacement varieties, so you may need to drill a bit larger if you go this route. A step drill bit will do it.

Love me a bit of Gotoh action. Gotta love a Phase III tuner though, so sexy.

DwM9MiE.jpg

Sweetwater?

Back