Looks, sound or playability.....

Looks is what makes me want to play the guitar.

Playability is what makes me want to plug it in. I give a little leeway on this one because I have done many setups and by looking at the guitar I will have a very good idea of what I can make it feel like.

The sound is what makes me either buy it or put it back on the rack, unless the first two are perfect. Then I may consider it knowing that I am probably going to have to change the pickups, or fix with a setup.

In all honesty, if it is a PRS core guitar, it is about looks. I know the product is so consistent that I can get it where I want it for playability and sound. I have only had to do pickup changes to a few of my PRS guitars. One was because I just didn't get along with with the pickups but I loved the look and feel of the guitar. The pickup swap fixed the issue. I have another one that the pickups were just a little too weak for me when switching between guitars at gigs. The pickup swap in that guitar really resolved my issue. This guitar is one of my best playing and sounding PRS guitars and is a solid color over a flame top...

To me, sound is the most important but only if it plays well. If something plays like crap then I'll take the same model that plays better even if it's not as aurally pleasing.

Color don't mean shite. I hate black guitars but most of mine are black :confused: because they sounded and played great. :cool:. \m/

Ive got to go with playabilty followed closely by sound. Looks are just looks, my ear cant see a thing, lol.
With you 100% on this! I am also with @JasonE about not having to worry about playability and sound when it comes to a PRS Core!! If those elements are not there when it hits your hands, it most likely can be made to satisfy those criteria for you with a little love/modding ;~)) So when it comes to PRSi, I am really choosing based on looks. I will admit, I lusted for a PRS for 20+ years (because of their beauty). Finally bought one in Jan '21. Within' two months I had purchased two more because of the playability and sound ;~))

Depends on the guitar. I must have around 25 guitars in my collection, most of those are modified in some way or form. Some I have specifically for experimentation. Others I have for workhorsing around. Then I have some for practice. And some I have for presentation/wow/shock factor.

All that said, your guitars should play and sound good before anything else AND each guitar should offer a vastly different playing experience. If you have 2 strats that play/feel and sound similar then chances are you are doing something wrong or maybe you are doing everything right and just don't know you need a new amp.

I have 4 strat styled guitars (3 single coil configuration), each one is so different that you would be able to tell that difference if you were blindfolded. I believe this is how it should be. Each one has different string gages, different alnico magnets in pickups and different necks/neck profiles.

Every guitar in your arsenal should be set-up properly and stay in tune - even after playing a 2 hour set. If you have a trem issue, you should upgrade the trem, if you don't care about a trem, you should have went with a hardtail. There are many things I've learned when I got into modding that I wish I had learned years ago.

A proper set-up is the key to a start of any great guitar.

Depends on the guitar. I must have around 25 guitars in my collection, most of those are modified in some way or form. Some I have specifically for experimentation. Others I have for workhorsing around. Then I have some for practice. And some I have for presentation/wow/shock factor.

All that said, your guitars should play and sound good before anything else AND each guitar should offer a vastly different playing experience. If you have 2 strats that play/feel and sound similar then chances are you are doing something wrong or maybe you are doing everything right and just don't know you need a new amp.

I have 4 strat styled guitars (3 single coil configuration), each one is so different that you would be able to tell that difference if you were blindfolded. I believe this is how it should be. Each one has different string gages, different alnico magnets in pickups and different necks/neck profiles.

Every guitar in your arsenal should be set-up properly and stay in tune - even after playing a 2 hour set. If you have a trem issue, you should upgrade the trem, if you don't care about a trem, you should have went with a hardtail. There are many things I've learned when I got into modding that I wish I had learned years ago.

A proper set-up is the key to a start of any great guitar.
Out of curiosity...do you consider fret work as part of a proper set-up?

Out of curiosity...do you consider fret work as part of a proper set-up?
I really do. Depending on where you get it, could cost a bit but worth it. My Santana SE needed some professional fret work so I took it in to get that done. The neck looks and feels much much better now.

Looks....I can play any decent guitar...to the point my collection has enough variety, I don't let differences limit what I want to play. If it doesn't sound good...that's on me and what I'm plugged into as a 2nd.
If it's ugly...I won't pick it up.
Fortunately most guitars are attractive to me with the exception of heavily genre influenced decorated instruments.

I'm perhaps against the grain, but I've never played a PRS instrument or any quality instrument for that matter that I couldn't get to sound good with post-guitar settings. I'm also of the camp that enjoys the nuances and differences of guitar tones, rather than being confident that one sounds "better" than the other. I think a lot of tones just need to be applied correctly. So, that said, I'll say Playability, Looks and Sound. But of course the asterisks here would be that the quality of the sound is at least reasonably acceptable for a guitar.

Back