Let's talk trem arms.

JasonE

I bought a new trem arm from John Mann's Guitar Vault a few weeks ago. I wanted one without the plastic tip on it that had a rounded end on it. I believe that PRS trem arms still have a flat end on them if you pull the plastic tip off of them. I like the arm that I got form John.

When I was looking around on his site I saw that he had one that he calls "GILMOUR" arm. I know that Gilmour had a shortened arm on his guitar. I decided to order one of these last week. I also ordered it with no plastic tip. This arm is rather interesting. The Gilmour arm is 15/16" shorter than the other arm I bought from John. The regular arm is a little shorter than the stock PRS arm because it doesn't have the plastic tip on it.

Both of these arms offer a little different feel when using the trem. The shorter arm makes the trem feel stiffer. I am glad I picked these up. They offer some variety. I recommend picking something like this up and giving it a try. I am starting to like the short arm a lot.

I thought the Gilmour arm was considerably shorter than standard. hmmm

I have five or six of John Mann's Gilmour arms; I prefer them for a floating trem to the longer stock arm... That reduction of an inch or so lets the arm sit very differently in your palm and feels stiffer than the stock PRS arm... This pic of my two Silver Skies shows the length difference fairly clearly; my Moc Sand SS has a decked trem, so I use the longer arm on it for added leverage:

OUeuZao.jpg

I thought the Gilmour arm was considerably shorter than standard. hmmm
The measurement I posted is between the two arms from John that don't have the plastic tip on them. If you compare the stock arm with the plastic tip to the Gilmour without the plastic tip it is 1 5/16" shorter.

Getting the arm without the plastic tip shortens it a bit so the two I posted the difference in earlier were the two without the tip. The plastic tip adds about 1/4" length. Mine was just a fuzz over the 1/4" different. I am assuming that there can be some variation with the plastic tip and how far it is pressed on the arm.

Not me. Blasphemy alert.....I'm not really a Gilmour/Pink Floyd fan :eek: :eek: :eek:
Well that's just weird! :D

But I was thinking you tried one of those really sort trem arms... must be what you call one of them "cases of mistaken identity." Or, it was just some other dude.

Well that's just weird! :D

But I was thinking you tried one of those really sort trem arms... must be what you call one of them "cases of mistaken identity." Or, it was just some other dude.
Short arms....you thinkin' about that time I didn't pay for dinner???

IMHO, the Gilmour arms are worth the money to buy one and try it. I started with just wanting a trem arm with not plastic tip. The arms on my Suhr guitars for the Gotoh 510 bridges are this way. The arm is a little thicker than the PRS arm but I like the look and feel of the arms on the 510. I like the look and feel of the standard size arm without the plastic tip on the PRS too. I saw the Gilmour arm when I was ordering the standard length arm. I should have bought one at that time but had to think about it for a week and see the other arm before making the decision to buy one. I am glad I bought it. I wish I had ordered it at the same time I bought the other one and saved the shipping cost.

I found the ones I was talking about. I saw it at TGP. They are much shorter than these, like "mini" versions, but some people love them.

Back