Kemper update...

Watching now. I like what I am hearing so far.

EDIT 1:
I just heard what I wanted to hear. All of this is a software update. I do not need to buy any additional hardware. They just closed any gaps in this unit that they had. IMHO, they already had the best sounding and feeling raw amp sounds out there. All of the capabilities have been there in the hardware and they are not going to make it all work.

EDIT 2:
I can't wait for this update. Now off to the Kemper forum to see what the conversation looks like over there about it.

Last edited:
Watching now. I like what I am hearing so far.

EDIT 1:
I just heard what I wanted to hear. All of this is a software update. I do not need to buy any additional hardware. They just closed any gaps in this unit that they had. IMHO, they already had the best sounding and feeling raw amp sounds out there. All of the capabilities have been there in the hardware and they are not going to make it all work.

EDIT 2:
I can't wait for this update. Now off to the Kemper forum to see what the conversation looks like over there about it.
I luckily tripped over that video 4 minutes after it was posted, so you'll see my post there as well. :)

Awesome!

I'm a Fractal guy but this makes them up their game too. Now if someone can come up with a way to run the software on each other's systems.

Awesome!

I'm a Fractal guy but this makes them up their game too. Now if someone can come up with a way to run the software on each other's systems.
I have both, Kemper Stage and Fractal FM9. IMHO, for all that Fractal can do, I feel the Kemper has more accurately reproduced the raw amp tones. For me that is the bedrock that I build on top of so it is the most important.

You are in for a lot of fun if you do. This thing has evolved brilliantly over time and apparently more is coming our way!
I am not sure how old your OS is on the Kemper but they have released some really good things in the past couple of years. The drives alone are well worth the update.
Mine has whatever it was shipped with in 2017.
I only use it on vacation, so what it did then continues to suit my purposes.

I think the blend of modeling and profiling is a good idea.

Focusrite was doing something similar with their Liquid Channel hardware channel strip in 2004. I've often wondered why it hasn't been done in the modeling world, though the Focusrite was much more expensive at the time. the Liquid Channel modeled 40 mic preamps, and 40 compressors using a combination of convolution and algorithms. And it sounded great.

Pretty much the same idea as this Kemper update.

UA uses modeling in the OX. It's very good. The Kemper is good at profiling. Seems to me the blend of the two will work pretty darn well.

Last edited:
I think the blend of modeling and profiling is a good idea.

Focusrite was doing something similar with their Liquid Channel hardware channel strip in 2004. I've often wondered why it hasn't been done in the modeling world, though the Focusrite was much more expensive at the time. the Liquid Channel modeled 40 mic preamps, and 40 compressors.

UA uses modeling in the OX. It's very good. The Kemper is good at profiling. Seems to me the blend of the two will work pretty darn well.
At first glance it seems a more efficient way to do it.
Instead of multiple profiles taken with varying amounts of gain (or any amp control/eq) you just have 1 profile with improved controls.
Won't matter much to those that put real or digital pedals in front of a stock clean amp, but certainly an improvement.

And there's to be a new marketplace where you can try before blowing any money! Also excited for the USB audio and Android support. I have a nice tablet to put to use.
I have a really nice interface that I bought just over a year ago so I won't use that feature. However, that is one more feature that closes the gap to the Fractal FM9.

I like the idea of the Android support. They said they were not going to do that. I am guessing that the outcry on the forum was enough for them to change their mind.

The market place is also a great idea. This will hopefully help people find that profile they are looking for without having to buy several packs to finally locate it. I am wondering how the new feature for the profiles is going to affect existing profiles. I am also wondering if some of the profile sellers will create something new with the new feature and you have to buy them again or if there is a way to apply it to the existing profiles. Maybe they could just publish the amp settings for the profiles they have sold so we can apply those settings to the profiles we already have, if they have recorded those settings somewhere. I am sure all of these questions will be answered when they release the update.

I have a really nice interface that I bought just over a year ago so I won't use that feature. However, that is one more feature that closes the gap to the Fractal FM9.

I like the idea of the Android support. They said they were not going to do that. I am guessing that the outcry on the forum was enough for them to change their mind.

The market place is also a great idea. This will hopefully help people find that profile they are looking for without having to buy several packs to finally locate it. I am wondering how the new feature for the profiles is going to affect existing profiles. I am also wondering if some of the profile sellers will create something new with the new feature and you have to buy them again or if there is a way to apply it to the existing profiles. Maybe they could just publish the amp settings for the profiles they have sold so we can apply those settings to the profiles we already have, if they have recorded those settings somewhere. I am sure all of these questions will be answered when they release the update.
This amazing piece of equipment is now 11 years old. It is phenomenal that every device ever sold is able to take advantage of all these updates at no charge.
Aside from my PRS guitars, this device is the absolute best gear I've ever purchased.

Help me, I'm dumb.

Was the USB audio ability/hardware ability always there but just not enabled? Although I'm sure it's much welcomed, it seems like such an odd thing to "update".

Help me, I'm dumb.

Was the USB audio ability/hardware ability always there but just not enabled? Although I'm sure it's much welcomed, it seems like such an odd thing to "update".
Well it would seem it was always there in waiting. Why I do not know, as no new hardware is required.
Not gonna look this gift horse in the mouth...

I thought CK said before it was not possible with the hardware implementation. However it is the best part of the update for me. No need for the (cheap) interface anymore. The tonestack is a nice gimmick, however I made my own profiles and honed them to near perfection already

Back