Jack nut loose

CoreyT

PRS Addiction
Here at work, just got done playing my 2012 SE Custom 24 before I start work.
Just noticed the input jack nut is loose, as I heard it clanking when inserting the cable.

I can tighten it up by hand, but do I risk spinning the inside jack and ripping off the wires, or will it be OK to insert a nut driver on it to tighten it up further?
Would it be better to take off the rear plate and hold the jack while tightening from outside, or will it be OK to tighten without removing the rear plate?
I have never had a nut loosen before on the jack of any guitar I have owned.

Thanks, Corey

I had this happen to me on a number of different guitars (both PRS & non PRS). Thanks for the input. Up until now I have pretty much manually tightened the jack nut. Will change approach going forward.

Anyone ever use one of these?
A few vids at the site.
I have also seen the plastic one made by All Parts, but reviewers say it strips.
This metal one looks good, and also works on amps, pedals, etc.
http://jacktight.com/

Yep, always hold from the inside or it spins.

Have issues on Fender style jack sockets time to time. It happens.

I've had success using a narrow screwdriver or scratchall inside the jack to hold against the spring to keep the jack from spinning, then using a wrench to tighten. For Strats it's either monkey with needle-nose pliers or just suck it up and take off the plate and hold the jack. ;-)

Anyone ever use one of these?
A few vids at the site.
I have also seen the plastic one made by All Parts, but reviewers say it strips.
This metal one looks good, and also works on amps, pedals, etc.
http://jacktight.com/

Hmmm...

It looks like there is a possibility of damaging the jack with the very tool you are using to try to prevent damage.

Depending on the wrench and your angle of view, you might not be able to see if the tool is actually preventing spinning.

Open up whatever needs tightening, put yer mit on the jack, tighten. ALWAYS works.

Last edited:
You can make a very rough but effective jack hold-tight tool with a little work and the expanding metal "mollys" for affixing things to a drywall/sheetrock wall. You pick one near 1/4" and insert it and then expand until it grips- the grip needs to be gentle---gentle! You hold it with pliers and tighten the nut. $.79 cents. I myself do enough setups and builds that I bought Frank Ford's gizmo from Stewart McDonald- it works on an eccentric principle and is quite effective.

Before that, I used expanding needle nose pliers that I filed rough. Cheap ones so steel was soft.

Just use this...

PIZwWO0.jpg

Hmmm...

It looks like there is a possibility of damaging the jack with the very tool you are using to try to prevent damage.

Depending on the wrench and your angle of view, you might not be able to see if the tool is actually preventing spinning.

Open up whatever needs tightening, put yer mit on the jack, tighten. ALWAYS works.

This!

You just need a screwdriver (which everyone has!) and a few minutes.

That tool seems like a solution is n need of a problem.

The JackTight showed up Monday, and I used it yesterday on my SE Custom 24 at work.
I bought it just to see how it works, and it worked great.

When I exchange that guitar out for a different one to use at work, I will pull the cover off the rear and see how the jack is aligned up.
Pretty simple tool to use though, and if you are in a hurry and do not want to pull off the rear plate, it works as advertised.

Considering how bullet proof most PRS guitars are, I was surprised that my jack loosened too. Kinda mad me mad actually, course it took a decade for it to decide to loosen. Just like the others, I took off the control plate and held the jack and tightened, but added some hard as nails clear top coat nail polish to the threads and that was that.

Back