Is this Rosewood? Wenge? What the heck is it?

Do you like it?

Folks here have said that Solid Rosewood is the easiest to play and most resonant of all necks.

Carlos plays one.
The guitar is an interesting play for sure. I like the feel of the neck. It is a Tele with an ash body. The guitar is a combination of a number of things I have never owned in a guitar before so it is hard for me to tell exactly how much the neck is affecting the tone of it. I have a friend that told me if I ever sell it I have to call him first. I showed up at one of his gigs with it one night and let him play it for a bit with his band. He didn't want to give it back.

This is what I expected to see.
This is what I got.
The dealer isn't certain himself and just offered me a full refund.
I have rosewood that is as dark as that.
I would probably keep it, whatever the wood actually is.

CK_24ViolaNeckDetail.JPG

I have rosewood that is as dark as that.
I would probably keep it, whatever the wood actually is.

CK_24ViolaNeckDetail.JPG
Now THAT looks pretty! Honestly, a little Variegation would be nicer, even with yours. A little more variation and contrast in colors. The beautiful colors of Rosewood are a big part of the attraction to Rosewood for me.

Here's my Breedlove Concerto. Solid Rosewood, not veneers. That's the look I love and had hoped to get.

The other thing is: the dealers on Reverb and eBay don't have the items they're selling in stock.

What you see is NOT the item you'll get.

It will be nice, and maybe even prettier. Or not.

More and more of these guys are going that route. They don't tell you until you've paid for it that you have to wait two months for the dealer to ship!

I think it's a little dishonest and leads to a lot of stress.

Who needs that?

Last edited:
Weird. He offered to give me a refund...which I felt bad about.

But he did it anyway! Full refund and apparently I can keep the neck.

Maybe he reads the PRS Forum? But I wasn't going to say anything bad about the guy!
That Is Awfully Gracious of Him To Do. Very Cool Indeed!

I don't.

I like more color and variation.

But for FREE I'll like it.

What should I use to finish it?

I have on hand: TruOil, Hopes Tung Oil, Watco...

I'm thinking TruOil.
I thought rosewood is generally unfinished? And with a finish it will definately get darker

I don't.

I like more color and variation.

But for FREE I'll like it.

What should I use to finish it?

I have on hand: TruOil, Hopes Tung Oil, Watco...

I'm thinking TruOil.
I don't think mine has a finish on it at all. I thought it might be hard to get one to stick to it since it is an oily wood. I remember seeing people post that they use a very find sandpaper once in a while on it to knock down the fuzzy feel if it is needed. After a while the grain is evened out and doesn't need it anymore. Mine has stayed smooth feeling.

I have a Taylor acoustic that had a raw neck when I got it. Playing it has shined it up a bit and sealed it from use. I have not had to sand it in any way. I think that neck is mahogany.

I Would Play It As Is For A Bit And See How It Sets With You. Maybe It Turns Out To Be Fine For You Au Natural? If Not, You Will Have A Better Idea Of What To Use. My Raw Neck Guitars Are Natural Aside From A Coule That Feel Like They Have Some Sort Of A Wax Coating On Them. They Feel And Play Fine So It Doesn't Bother Me.

I meant the one with the skunk stripe.
Oh. That's from Havok Guitars. Bought it on Reverb. Guy "makes" GORGEOUS necks but gets himself in trouble by not giving accurate delivery times and then disappearing for a couple of weeks and not answering emails or questions.

Extremely shiny poly finish. Hate the finish.

Last edited:
Back