Is there a definitave PRS fret size / model chart somewhere?

tip

I love my frets on my new CU22 but I am wanting to change direction and get a satin back, wide fat neck. I might have to trade it in.
Looking for satin smooth necks is interesting. A lot of bolt - ons have it. My 600$ Zack Meyers has it.
Some cool rosewood ones and other high end models seem to have either satin smooth or the dreaded poly , V12, and other finishes, which I don't need.

AS far as frets, I see the Modern Eagle, Santana, Hilland, DC22 and many others have the huge JUMBO frets(6100). No thanks for this old timer....

Any chart available? I read this and some other discussions but please recommend a chart or a killer 22 fret PRS with my two requirements that I wished I had flushed out before I bought my Wide / Thin CU22.

Medium Jumbo in old school parlance usually indicates ~.100-.104” width and .040-.048” height and first appeared in 1959 on Gibson guitars (some say late 1958). Medium refers to height and jumbo to the width. PRS uses a medium jumbo size exclusively (except for the US made Santana models, which use a slightly bigger size).

Another forum discussion talks about the crown:

All my PRS guitars have different wire:

2007 SC 250: standard wire (I would think)

2008 ME 2: wider and taller than the standard wire with a flatter "top".

2012 DGT Std: wider and taller than standard, rounded "top", therefore a tiny bit taller than the ME frets (I think same width)

Does the ME1 fretwire also have the flatter top like the ME2?
Twinfan

09-10-2012, 08:50 AM
Yep, the ME1 has the flatter top but it doesn't seem to be any wider than standard. Definitely taller and flatter though which I find makes me play a little out of tune as I'm quite heavy handed.

The Santana fretwire on my PS Sigs seems like a regular height version of the DGT fretwire, but I've emailed Customer Support to see if that's the case.

I'm pretty happy switching between guitars so it's not a big issue, but I find I can fret cleaner on my DGT Standard and my new Sig Ltd. Something in the Santana fretwire spec doesn't quite work for me so I'm curious to find out what it is!

As an aside, my new Sig Limited feels great - like a rounded top version of the ME1 wire. I've asked Customer Services what wire that is too for reference.
Twinfan

09-10-2012, 09:37 AM
OK, for the record Matt at Customer Services got back to me super fast :D

The Sig Ltd has the larger PRS fretwire, jumbo size, as used on the DGT and Santana models. I saw read an interview with DGTh who mentioned he had ditched the Dunlop 6100 wire due to inconsistent supply, so DGTs must now use the Santana wire. Cool!

Stock - similar to Dunlop 6150
DGT/Santana/Sig Ltd - wider and taller than stock, similar to Dunlop 6100
Modern Eagle (ME1/2) fretwire - taller than stock, but the same width and with a flatter crown (hybrid: width of 6150, height of 6100)

There's no chart. But PRS customer service would certainly answer the questions.

Back