Is the artchtop shape the same on SE and Custom models?

broadcasterguy

Dear Forum,
Is the Convex arch-top shape of the body the same on the SE 24 and on the Normal PRS Custom 24? I notice that on the Custom 24 recesses have been routed out under the knobs, but this is not the case on the SE 24. I am wondering if the archtop is also lower on the SE 24.

It just seems like I don't notice as much shapeliness in photos of the SE 24 models. But it could just be the lighting.
Thanks in advance for your help/info.

PRS Custom 24
s-l1600.jpg

PRS SE 24
s-l400.jpg

So the front shape is less violin like, less protruding, correct? More subdued and more pushed back right?

It's not so much that -- there's probably the same differential in height from the highest point to the lowest point when laying flat -- but there's more flat surface area on the SE, whereas the core is one continuous curve. Try and go see them both in person.

Yes...on the SE it will be more flat and will have a very gentle curve to the entire top. The core guitar will have a very pronounced violin carve with recessed knobs.

In terms of carve

SE Standard = almost flat with rounded edges
SE Custom = Slight arch
S2 = Beveled edges with slight arch
Core = Full Violin carve
10 Top ,Artist Pack, and Private Stock = same as Core but much nicer figure to the woods

Thanks for your help and info.

Ok, then I need to get a Core guitar.
I want to buy a 24 , birds, stoptail bridge, wide thin neck, preferably a painted body rather than laminated top. Condition not important.
I will need to start looking online.

That is a nice one. Too nice for what I am looking for. Maybe I need to broaden my search for ones with a tremolo bridge.

SE guitars have a flat top with more of a bevelled edge. I wouldn't call it a carve. Even the 245 is quite flat, except the beveled area is rounded off.

Thanks for your help and info.

Ok, then I need to get a Core guitar.
I want to buy a 24 , birds, stoptail bridge, wide thin neck, preferably a painted body rather than laminated top. Condition not important.
I will need to start looking online.

Maybe there are alternatives to the Core range. This the PRS SE Mark Holcomb

Wide thin neck (ebony fretboard!). 24 frets. Non trem. I think the only compromise for you would be that delicious quilted veneer top (I get that you prefer something more plain looking).

http://www.prsguitars.com/index.php/electrics/se/se_mark_holcomb_2017

se_holcomb_2017_holcomb_burst.jpg

No worries, cheers, I think we've all got that (the desire to be helpful).

Last edited:
I appreciate your help and advice.
Anybody out there have a beater 24 with birds core guitar they are wanting to unload? (or know somebody else that does)
With the two knobs on the sides and the single switch under the bridge.
Preferably with the stop bridge, but I am open to a tremolo bridge.

Craig's List, dude, or Reverb or eBay...or Dave's...although they're less "beater" and more "minty"...

Back