Is it just me or are there others?

It's partly PRSh's fault. If he didn't keep making so damn many awesome instruments it would easier for a lot of us to control it a bit more. I also agree with Mike's last post and his comments on the hunt.

I think some people are simply in love more with the thought of owning a particular piece of gear than the gear itself.

Being a blue collar and the prices on PRS guitars in sweden def helps GAS :).I want a 408 and DGT.

Aaack.

My first PRS was a '96 black standard 24. Nice guitar, but I was a strat kinda guy and it didn't get as much love as it could have. I never completely bonded with the rotator switch, winged locking tuners, and pups in that guitar.

Eventually, off it went... hopefully to someone who played the heck out of it.

Then a used '95 McCarty. That was a wonderful guitar. It was beautiful, had a great feeling neck, and sounded smooth and warm clean or overdriven. Eventually that one made its way into someone else's hands... but I still kinda miss it.

Then I saw a used 2008 SC245 Goldtop. It became my #1 for quite a while... played it on lots of gigs and rehearsals. It sounded and played great, but I missed having a trem, and that model didn't have any split capability. I just parted with it last week. Almost didn't let the guy walk out the door with it. Made him PROMISE that if he ever wanted to sell it, he would call me first.

BUT... the reason I felt I could sell the Goldtop, was that I had just acquired two DGT's, a "regular" in antique white... absolutely an amazing guitar... and a "standard" in vintage cherry... also a beautiful and great playing guitar. I found myself playing the DGT's so much, that the SC245 just wasn't getting much playing time... and I didn't see that changing anytime soon.

Now, with the release of the 408... GAS is creeping up on me again.

I know I don't "need" it.

But I want it.

Then I saw this the other day at wildwest guitar's website:

1348765437Front.jpg

Wow. A SAS in Gold Foil.

Does THAT look cool.

I bet it's got some very interesting tones!

It's kinda crazy really... that there are so many cool guitars to chase after.

Well, Christmas is just around the corner. What should I get myself?

:D

M

Since I got my CE-24 I really have not gassed for anything. I am not one of those who have to be constantly moving my instruments. I am thankful for what I have.
:p22:

Boy I though I had this BAD but then I read the symptoms I guess I don't! :flute:
Buy guitar one after another - yup :top:
Selling guitars? You can DO THAT! ? I hope my wife doesn't find out! :biggrin:
OMG it's MUTATING! :eek:

Seriously - I enjoy the hunt... I'm an Adrealline Junky - I know it. I"m okay with it, I own it.... :top:
I gave up SKYDIVING at my wife's request after our Daughter was born....
Quit racing Motocross because I needed to be able to go to work...
Started playing OUT in my 40's for the rush...

GAS has slowed down since since I bough my first PRS. I'm I done? Unlikely....
But now I'm looking at guitars for what tones they might provide as opposed to what famous guy plays one...

I'm good with that and there's peace in the valley. ;)

EDIT: I am pretty interested in seeing what "ALL THE FUSS" is about with the DGT model.... :D

Last edited:
Craig, G.A.S. is a disease, and like diabetes, you cannot cure it; you can only hope to manage it. If your quest is negatively impacting your family's well-being, then your condition has worsened to Gear Acquisition Disorder and you should seek immediate treatment, starting with a cranial-rectal inversion. But if you only have G.A.S, high five, brother! My name is Dave and I only own 13 PRS....oh, and 3 amps...and my next will be an acoustic...and I have a problem...but it's manageable, I swear...

Its not the guitar your playin..Its the guitar thats playin you. I used to be this way about golf clubs and girlfriends. Then I bought my first PRS. I can die with no regrets, now.

I'm just as bad. I've owned and flipped a bunch of stuff due to the exact same reasons as the OP. Some of it I bought new and sold used... ouch! I make a good living and have a supportive wife, but I've definitely lost money over the years. Now.. I really try hard to ONLY buy used and at good prices where I won't lose much if I flip things, and I'm finally coming to terms with keeping the same stuff for a while.

I find the best cure when I feel the GAS urge building, is to go and play what I own. Then I realize I have a lot of work to do on my playing and my current gear is more than enough.. and things subside.. for a while...

I'm definitely getting better, but I haven't solved the problem yet.

I have two guitars that I have already decided will be staying with me, but one of those sees very little play time. They're both fantastic guitars that have a big history with me and are worth big money to me in sentimental value, far more than their market value would be. A rational, GAS-free John Beef would be completely sustained with those two. There are also a few others I wish I'd held on to.

I know that I'm pretty much bored and a little bit miserable all the time. I know this about myself. Guitars bring me joy. The hunt for the next guitar keeps my mind occupied and gives me something to look forward to every day, when otherwise it would just be another boring day filled with completing task after task and waiting for the clock to tell me it's time to go to bed.

Back