Intonatable bridge for PRS SE Standard 22

GrabtharsHammer

I bought my first PRS two months ago and already made some great improvements by installing Seymour Duncan Humbuckers (Custom Trembucker and 59), Grover 406C locking tuners and a PRS USA AC-4204 nut.

Now - as I tune my guitar a full step down and play LTHB 10-52 strings - I'm getting some intonation problems that I wasn't able to fix with the original PRS stoptail bridge.

Do you guys have experience with intonatable bridges for PRS SE guitars?
The original PRS intonatable bridge is not an option as it is much too expensive.
The TonePros AVT2P seems to fit but I have found a lot of complaints regarding its quality.
Another option would be the Pigtail Wrap-Around Intonatable Tailpiece but I'm not sure if it really is a direct fit for PRS and I can't find the exact measures anywhere.
I also find the new Schaller Signum bridge quite interesting but it seems to be expensive and I haven't yet found a shop here in germany that offers it.
I have read some good reviews on the MannMade USA 2003 Intonatable Stoptail bridge, but it is expensive, impossible to find in germany and the studs would have to be replaced.

Save your pennies and go with the Mann. He'll ship to Germany, and include the studs and tools necessary to remove the old ones. I replaced the bridge and studs on my Bernie, and the old studs came out (and the new went in) in less time than it takes to put on a set of strings. It was really an easy job.

^ This
Mann's is the best of the bunch, and less expensive than the Prs. You will not be disappointed and he will ship to Germany.

Yes, sure, the Mann Made Stoptail Bridge definitely looks nice, but tax and shipping included it would cost me at least $ 217. And I believe that in addition also customs duty must be paid here in germany for the import. So add another 19% and, well, it all adds up to a lot of money!

I could get the Schaller Signum for about $ 144, but I am not completely sure if it really is a direct fit for the PRS SE.

The Mann bridge does add up once you include import taxes, etc. But it is still significantly cheaper than the PRS bridge.

As has been stated the Mann bridge with the included studs and bushings is a perfect fit and a wonderful bridge.

Yes, it means saving for a bit longer but it is worth it.

I know I'm the minority, but I like the Tonepros a lot, as long as you aren't going to use crazy heavy strings. I'll stop at that though, seems to ruffle a lot of feathers when I recommend it on here.

From what I hear, Schaller makes the PRS adjustable. The Signum appears to just be their branded version of it. I think that's probably the way to go since you're in Germany. Otherwise, it's John Mann all the way.

Regarding the Mann bridge I found the information that there is a difference between the SE and USA studs and stud wells (metric vs. US). Can anyone explain this in detail?

The Mann bridge already comes with appropriate tools to fix this problem. However, I'm still interested in buying the Schaller bridge, but can't find any information if it is suitable for the metric studs/wells of the SE. Is it right to assume, that the original PRS intonatable bridge would also not fit the SE without further adjustment?

And what about the radius? The Schaller bridge has 12" but I couldn't get any information about the radius of the Mann bridge. Is it correct, that a bridge with a 10" radius is required?

Damn, this thing gets more and more complicated...

Last edited:
I hadn't heard of the Schaller Signum before. Looks nice. Sadly the specs page has ZERO specs listed for it so there's no way to know if it will fit without trying it.

EDIT: Stew mac has it listed.

Schaller_Signum_Bridge.jpg

The 12" radius will likely work okay. You could have a luthier file the saddles a bit to get them to 10" radius if needed for best playability.

You could use the PRS intonatable with the SE metric posts. Or again, I'm sure a luthier could pull the SE studs and replace them if needed. But of course, that still adds to your cost.

I've done some more research and finally decided to go with the Schaller Signum.

Just ordered the bridge at the music store and will get it installed and adjusted by their luthier. Delivery time is 1-2 weeks. Will post some photos when everything is done.

The Tonepros is annoying to string. There's no channel from front to back; strings can fall down between the two holes you need to get them in.

Saddle notching also not great.

Regarding the Mann bridge I found the information that there is a difference between the SE and USA studs and stud wells (metric vs. US). Can anyone explain this in detail?

The Mann bridge already comes with appropriate tools to fix this problem. However, I'm still interested in buying the Schaller bridge, but can't find any information if it is suitable for the metric studs/wells of the SE. Is it right to assume, that the original PRS intonatable bridge would also not fit the SE without further adjustment?

And what about the radius? The Schaller bridge has 12" but I couldn't get any information about the radius of the Mann bridge. Is it correct, that a bridge with a 10" radius is required?

Damn, this thing gets more and more complicated...

John supplies the tools necessary to change from the metric wells to the US wells. It's really easy, and they come out like butter. As for the radius, 10" on the Mann.

I finally bought the Schaller Signum and and took my PRS SE to the luthier for professional installation and setup. Yesterday - after four weeks - I called him and asked when I can pick up my guitar. Well, he will need another week. Because of the known metric/US studs problem he had to order bolts in the required size and wood type to fill the holes and then drill new ones for the Signum's studs. But installation and setup will cost approx. $50 so it's still cheaper than importing the Mann bridge.

I just got my SE back from the luthier. The Schaller Signum wasn't an easy install (see my post above) but it was worth the wait. First impression: What a beauty! And playing with it for a couple of minutes I immediately heard a much increased sustain. I love it!

IMG_0604.jpg
IMG_0605.jpg
IMG_0606.jpg

Good to read that.
I bought an SE 245 myself, and I am quite irritated that such an expensive guitar doesn't have an adjustable bridge.

N.F.

Good to read that.
I bought an SE 245 myself, and I am quite irritated that such an expensive guitar doesn't have an adjustable bridge.

N.F.
Those non adjustable bridges are good enough to go on many Core and CE models.

Paul

From what I hear, Schaller makes the PRS adjustable. The Signum appears to just be their branded version of it. I think that's probably the way to go since you're in Germany. Otherwise, it's John Mann all the way.

Schaller no longer makes the PRS wraparound bridges.
They are now being manufactured in Asia...

John Mann: If I understand correctly, you only offer the adjustable in a wraparound and nothing with chrome... is that right? I'm modding an old SE Singlecut and want nothing to do with the wraparound style, but would like something with chrome to fit in with other parts. Maybe I should add that I'm going to install a Gibson tailpiece... I'm not keeping the guitar stock (I've already reshaped it some for left handed).

Back