I'm a man who's got very specific taste

hord1080

I am on the hunt for a new/used Custom 24, but not just any Custom 24, and what I am looking for seems to be pretty rare these days. On the prowl on Reverb and my favorite shop's pages, I will often see a guitar that strikes my fancy. Ooo...look at that Wood Library super flame-y or quilt-y top...DANG! then I flip to the back and...it's black. Sorry, I am strictly a natural back kind of guy. Or, the most common scenario - this one ticks all the boxes (nice top, right color (nothing too bland), natty back (ideally not too light like some swamp ash that's very popular now - i need that contrast between the top, natural binding, and back, and lower horn carve - so tasty!!), satin flame maple/roasted maple or rosewood neck (not glossy), pattern thin) but then...58/15 LTs. whomp whomp! I really like the 85/15's which you can't buy, they tick all the boxes for me. Would it be a mistake to take one that ticks all the boxes but not the 85/15s? I feel like the LTs might be too far outside my musical tastes - I suppose I could try them and swap to 57/08 or \m/ in the bridge. What is a man to do? Here is one near me that I love except the low output pickups:

https://reverb.com/item/34560654-pr...om-24-fatback-quilted-maple-10-top-river-blue

Not to be an enabler, but I say do it. 85/15’s are the most common “unavailable” PRS pickup to show up on auction sites (hint hint there is even a decently priced pair right now as of 9/8 listed on one that doesn’t start with R...)

Buy the guitar you like with the LT's. If you think they are weak sounding, add a clean boost pedal...
I use a tc spark to level my sound between high output and low output pickups these days...

wow those are amazing. I am actually not a huge swamp ash fan, I like the color of traditional mahogany, but those have some mean vibes! Love smoked hardware.

The guitar is your foundation. You can change the pickups and the choices are almost unlimited. Then, just sell the original set to offset the cost.

I found a used Cu24 that is more in my price range, it's satin. I know that satin can/will gloss up over time, but any difference in the feel in a satin hog neck vs. satin flame maple? I am mainly in love with that "raw wood" feel that I had playing my buddy's maple neck Cu24. I know the tone might be a little different, but beggars can't be choosers - I just don't know I would be happy with a glossy neck after feeling that slick woody neck goodness.

I found a used Cu24 that is more in my price range, it's satin. I know that satin can/will gloss up over time, but any difference in the feel in a satin hog neck vs. satin flame maple? I am mainly in love with that "raw wood" feel that I had playing my buddy's maple neck Cu24. I know the tone might be a little different, but beggars can't be choosers - I just don't know I would be happy with a glossy neck after feeling that slick woody neck goodness.
Nope, same feeling as the naked maple. I had the PTC refinish a Cu22 a few years ago. I asked about leaving the neck bare, but they wouldn’t do it. They were willing to give it the same satin black finish that they use on the Holcomb. I love how it turned out, and how it feels. Since then, I sent a Santana in to have the back refinished in white. I had them do the same thing on that neck. White satin feel.

Not to be an enabler, but I say do it. 85/15’s are the most common “unavailable” PRS pickup to show up on auction sites (hint hint there is even a decently priced pair right now as of 9/8 listed on one that doesn’t start with R...)

Beat me to it, but yes, 85/15's actually pop up quite a bit! I think they are killer pickups and have snagged a couple sets at very reasonable prices. I have not seen many 58/15's of any variation very often.

So ya, definitely don't let the fact that it doesn't have 85/15's in there stop you, as you will be able to find some used ones. As has also been mentioned, 57/08's and 59/09's can be had both used and new and are also some of the best out there!!

Back