I want a Korina Brazilian McCarty.. thoughts?

I hate to be the odd man out as usual, but play before you buy. Count me out as a Korina fan generally speaking. Thin and bright and just weird sounding. Not for me.

It's just me being a nervous nellie! It's my only vintage guitar so I'm naturally a bit nervous. I got it two years ago in Nashville

When you're a vintage guy, and you got the guitar almost new (it had been my brother's from new), you don't necessarily think of it as a vintage guitar...it's just your old guitar.

That '65 would be my only vintage guitar if I wasn't more of an antique than the guitar itself! ;)

I hate to be the odd man out as usual, but play before you buy. Count me out as a Korina fan generally speaking. Thin and bright and just weird sounding. Not for me.

If memory serves, my son had a really nice Korina Gibson with P-90s that I liked a lot. Might have been an Explorer or LP Jr. What I liked it for was rhythm stuff, especially clean/edge of crunchy grit.

If memory serves, my son had a really nice Korina Gibson with P-90s that I liked a lot. Might have been an Explorer or LP Jr. What I liked it for was rhythm stuff, especially clean/edge of crunchy grit.

Some guys love it! Its all personal taste. I wonder if the lower prices reflect many not digging it though. It could also just be most like the pretty face of figured maple though, like me. Yes, I am very shallow! :)

I have a Korina McCarty and it's great, mind you it's the only PRS I've ever played so I don't really know how it would compare to a standard McCarty...BUT WHATEVER!

12106855_10207482613970760_1535291218160839355_n.jpg
[/url] photo libre[/IMG]
12106855_10207482613970760_1535291218160839355_n.jpg

Play before you buy is sound advice. If you get around to doing so let us know how it goes.

Nice green burst!!
I wouldn't describe any of my korina guitars as "thin & bright"...
A tiny bit more upper midrange focused and even/balanced maybe.

First one i`ve ever seen in green, Smoo. Korina has its own sound, which I really like. Could be next on my list.

Ehhh...it won't break, unless it pitches forward from where you have it leaning against the amp in that pic and the headstock snaps off...;)

Heheh, it was secure (I made sure before I took the pic!). It is a great guitar though. Sounds very 70s rock.

I have owned alot of guitars and it is my favorite. You can see it in my avatar pic.

Just FYI,

There are some differences between traditional core PRS's and these that aren't immediately apparent.

I have a 2007/2013 Brazilian Korina McCarty that I got from Dave's.This is what I have discovered:

1) These were strangely originally setup with 9s. The little flyer from PRS that's included in the guitar confirms this.
2) The bridge is not the normal size. I tried to put in a Mann's bridge, but it didn't fit. Holes were too close together by about 1/16th. In hindsight I am glad I kept the original, the intonation is money with regular string gauges.
3) The pickups have long legs. - This is also strange, as all the PRS's I am familiar with have short ones.

Love this guitar, just different in terms of setup and hardware.

One thing that made a huge difference for me was getting some fretwork done. These guitars have been sitting a while and the neck is naturally going to move and expand and contract. Getting everything sorted, adjusting the truss rod and setting it up for 10s made a huge difference on mine.

These babies are a deal and a half! I am not the least bit happy that I went for it hook, line and sinker. What is not to like...

I had a Brazilian Korina McCarty, but didn't sound much different than my other PRS Korina McCarty even though they had different pickup configurations. I thought the natural finish on it was beautiful, but I traded it for a Custom 24. I will say this about both Korina's, they are very easy to get pinched harmonics and controllable feedback and have a great sound in the middle position.

I love my Brazzy McKorina Soapy! It seems to have that extra "edge" when I want to go grungy or fuzzy or dirty bluesy.

Or maybe it is just a placebo, but my playing is affected one way or another!

I had a Tobacco Sunburst Korina McCarty with Braz board for a short time. It was a somewhat rarity in that it came with gold 59/09s from the factory. It sounded amazing on the bridge pickup, but the neck pickup was muddy as hell. I couldn't adjust the height or polepieces enough to get a decent neck tone. It played and looked great. Still, I'm a big fan of Korina.

Back