i *STILL* have no GAS

watelessness

man, i've gone months without having GAS. it scares me. i mean, sure, shiny things still turn my head, but i don't pursue anything, nor am i trolling the interwebs looking for anything. is it possible that i already have all the gear i'll ever need? i used to be able to look forward to Paul taunting me every year with something "i had to have" but remain unmoved. what makes it worse is that i'm so close to the factory now. perhaps GAS is inversely proportional to proximity to the factory?

man, i've gone months without having GAS. it scares me. i mean, sure, shiny things still turn my head, but i don't pursue anything, nor am i trolling the interwebs looking for anything. is it possible that i already have all the gear i'll ever need? i used to be able to look forward to Paul taunting me every year with something "i had to have" but remain unmoved. what makes it worse is that i'm so close to the factory now. perhaps GAS is inversely proportional to proximity to the factory?
You’re being shown the way… you are to be a courier, pick up guitars from the factory and deliver them to those of us who live far away!

I'm right there with you... the intersection of having a lot of gear, and not enough time to use it, has hit the 'ol GAS tank hard!

Doesn't help PRS hasn't come out with a lot of new stuff in the last couple years, more so integrating popular products into multiple product lines, like putting the 594 in S2 and SE. I don't begrudge them for it, it's a business.

The last things that have really turned me on have been the SSH, and the HDRX 20. I suppose one could argue that I didn't want the HDRX until they put it in the import line... but it was really the master that I wanted.

Let's keep our fingers crossed for some freaky stuff.

I’m looking, sort of, for a dual humbucker stoptail. Maybe 24.x” scale. Probably PRS. I’d like it to be used core. My budget seems to put me at Mira, though I’m also interested in a MCarty or Paul’s. There is an HDRX20 at the local shop that calls to me. I wonder how it is with an open back Mesa widebody 1x12? I don’t need either of these. I want both…

Eventually something will come along that’s new or your tastes might open up to something you dismissed earlier but I hear where you’re coming from. I’ve got my stable full of all the things I’ll ever need/want. I’m currently cooking up my first private stock order…have I reached a milestone in my tone journey or am I near the end? Something tells me this is an endless voyage lol

Man, I feel the same way...

I've noticed that the more guitars I acquire, the more picky I am about what I may want to purchase next. I went for a long time without having been pressed to make a move on a guitar until recently when a particular guitar popped up at Jack Gretz' business. I was sooooo close to pulling the trigger....then it got sold, so I missed out.

Now, I'm kicking myself for not purchasing that one, and on top of that, am finding myself unmotivated by anything else I am seeing.

I am there as well. I haven't bought a new guitar in 3 years. I did recently find out about a pedal that I didn't know came out and bought that a week ago. The last purchase before that was some pickups to reconfigure a couple of telecasters that I have. That purchase was probably 8 months or more ago. I haven't bought anything major in at least 2 years.

What keeps me from buying things is twofold. I am pretty much out of room to put things and I hate going through the process of selling things. People are too much to deal with these days and I don't have the patience for it. I do have a few guitars that I would be willing to sell but I don't plan in giving them away and I will definitely offend any potential buyer that is a PITA. The second thing that keeps me from buying new stuff is that I have gear that really does all I need and then some. When I look at new guitars and amps I am not seeing anything that I like better than stuff I already own. I have felt for a while that I have better stock in my house than my local shops have, at least for my tastes.

I have often thought about selling a bunch of stuff off that I am not using and invest that money in a private stock. The issue there is that I am not sure what features I would put in a private stock. I have core and artist grade guitars that cover every option I think I might put in one so it seems a little silly to me to spend all that money to get something I already have. I have been through this thought process several times and that is where I keep landing on it.

I'm in the same boat. I still look at things, and maybe even desire them. Then I think, "why drop the coin". I don't need any more shiny objects. Besides, I've been thinking it would be nice to retire at 60 (4.5 years). Need to be a little more "frugal" in order to make that work. Priorities.

Crap, that almost reads like "responsible"!

I'm in the same boat. I still look at things, and maybe even desire them. Then I think, "why drop the coin". I don't need any more shiny objects. Besides, I've been thinking it would be nice to retire at 60 (4.5 years). Need to be a little more "frugal" in order to make that work. Priorities.

Crap, that almost reads like "responsible"!
The possibility of retiring may be part of it for me too. I just turned 58 last week. We are starting into a project that is going to change the landscape of my job and one possibility in that is my team gets negatively impacted and I have to lay off people and possibly get shown the door myself. I am trying to be prepared for that. Unfortunately, I don't think I will be up to 62 by that time and that still looks like the sweet spot for filing for SSI.

The possibility of retiring may be part of it for me too. I just turned 58 last week. We are starting into a project that is going to change the landscape of my job and one possibility in that is my team gets negatively impacted and I have to lay off people and possibly get shown the door myself. I am trying to be prepared for that. Unfortunately, I don't think I will be up to 62 by that time and that still looks like the sweet spot for filing for SSI.
Sucks about the workplace impact. That is always in the back of my mind. A little less these days than in the past, but still there. My wife retired at 62 1/2 and took SS right away. Between IRAs and SS the day to day is doable at 60 (for me), but medical insurance is what has me worried.

Sucks about the workplace impact. That is always in the back of my mind. A little less these days than in the past, but still there. My wife retired at 62 1/2 and took SS right away. Between IRAs and SS the day to day is doable at 60 (for me), but medical insurance is what has me worried.

Yep, pretty much the same boat for me (other than being able to do it at 60 - my wife has already said no!). There are still some guitars and stuff I want, but it really has dwindled the last few years. If this layoff had come even a year later, I might have been able to make it work, but it was too early.

Same here. I have all the gear I need, for any possible musical situation I would do. Anything I’d buy at this point would be redundant…unless PRS comes out with a T-style…NO! I already have 3 T-style gitboxes! ..but it would be a PRS T-style…”oh, all right, I guess I’d do that”.
On another note: a 2012 NF3 in cherry fell into my hands recently, at a real bargain price, and in mint, unplayed condition..yeah I bought it..so, yeah I guess if something really great comes up, I guess the gas will still be a thing.

I currently have a 5-guitar limit (gasp) that matches the spots available on my rack. For some reason, having too many guitars makes me anxious. I think it has something to do with the limited time I have to play and the regular maintenance that comes with it.

I do get the GAS itch, and sometimes search for guitars out of habit to alleviate stress. I try to remind myself that 1) a new guitar won't help me with my goal of actually writing songs, at least with who I am right now, and 2) I've got some amazing guitars that I haven't even fully explored yet to understand exactly what I want in an instrument. I love the idea of eventually slimming down the herd even more.

I have a Fiore, an S2 24-08 (love the bevel cut), a headless Ibanez Q54 (couch convenience self-justification), a GS Mini, and a Sterling Short Scale Bass.

Back