I need help

Echo2112

I am not really bonding with my Core McCarty neck humbucker.
I man up today and found a loose wire, like not grounded.

Could this be the problem? Should I have my tech solder that?
Kj9wIkM.png

I agree. It's probably grounded by that shield resting against another shield that is grounded well, but it really should be soldered properly and will perform optimally. Might sound better, might not. Good luck and let us know the outcome.

If the pickup is working, it is probably grounding just fine against the other wires it is touching. It should be soldered to ensure it stays working though. It is easy enough to test if you have a small section of wire. You can wrap it around that shield and another one to see if it makes any difference in sound.

What don't you like about the sound of the pickup? There may be some other things you can do.

From what I understand grounding has more to do with buzz/hum and less to do with the tone. If you have excessive hum, deal with that wiring issue, but if you're just not bonding with the overall tone it produces, considering a PU swap is an option.

There's a lot of great PU's on the market that might get you the sound you desire. I put a Fralin pure PAF in my recent build and am more than happy with the results.
Good luck with it.

With respect to grounding, a properly grounded pickup coil will function properly, whereas an ungrounded coil will not. An ungrounded shield will not reduce noise. If your shield and pickup grounds are internally connected (which is most likely the case here), you must have a firm ground connection to that shield mesh or your pickup will not function as designed. A little solder will give you a lot of useful information. You can do this yourself. You already have solder on your pickup shield (shiny bit at the end), you just have to heat it up [EDIT: with a soldering iron!] enough to flow it onto the top of that pot. Make sure you don't have a cold joint, plug that f7cker in and test it out.

Last edited:
I'd make pickup height and/or pole piece adjustments. The sweet spot for me and the 5815LT neck is right about pickup ring height. It's an awesome neck pickup, play with the height to ear. You'll find the sweet spot. PRS pickups always have one..

I agree with above. Get yourself a good soldering iron and do that yourself. It's a quick and easy job.

Back