I need a hollowbody...what should I get?

Prs2studio

I have a need for a hollowbody guitar. It needs to be a PRS.
I do not want a ZM period. I never have found a SE that feels right to me.

At the top of the page, hit the "Products" button. That will take you to the current production options.

Without knowing your preferences in music, etc, it doesn't make much sense for us to recommend one over another for you.

You cannot go wrong with a PRS Hollowbody. Your choices are the Singlecut and Doublecut and Hollowbody 1 and 2's. The Hollowbody 1's are available in the Artist Package only. I just ordered a Hollowbody 2 with Rosewood neck and Ebony board last week. No matter which way you go they are the best. I like the piezo option of the Core line personally. Heres Happy choosing to you and Good luck!

Last edited:
I like the McCarty HB quite a bit. Not sure what the differences are...maybe it's a bit thicker?

I agree with Audie. You can't go wrong. Personally, I like the singlecuts and their thicker bodies.

You OK with used? Then you have a lot more options.

You want full hollowbody or semi-hollowbody?

You need/want piezo?

You want the brighter tone of a maple top (and maybe back), or you want mellow from spruce?

Do you need/want single-cut or double-cut?

And finally, what is your budget? If $10K plus, then go PS and dress it out exactly how you want. If $2K or less, you're looking at a gently used HB, probably spruce, maybe have to give up the piezo option (but maybe not...depends on the used market that week).

If less than $1K, you are looking at an SE, either a ZM or the (now discontinued) semi-hollow with "modern" f-hole (i.e. looks like a ricky). Which you said you didn't want. So that leaves...

I'm just curious, have you tried the Myers SE yet? Just wondering if you're against using an SE, or you've tried all SE's including the ZM and something was off about it. Still haven't had a chance to try the ZM yet

I own a HB II w/piezo and cannot recommend that guitar enough. Also, I have played a JA-15 quite a bit and absolutely love it. I don't think you can go wrong with either of those.

Lots of good advise and info guys. My budget is around 3500.00 new or used.
The SE guitars I have tried have felt not as finished regarding the feel of the neck. I also feel the hardware and pups are lacking. My thoughts have been proven here more often than not since so many of you have done mods to yours. I just can't see paying 600 to double that for an SE and then hundreds more fixing it.

Well, street pricing is not supposed to be discussed, but I think $3500 for a new HB II might be challenging. But on the used market there are lots of HB IIs available for under that number.

Good luck, let us know what you eventually go for!

Back