Humming SE Paul's Guitar

kipkohl

A question for you experts, I just took delivery of an SE Paul's guitar - it looks and sounds great, but....it has a hum, more so when the neck pick up is selected. Hum goes away if I touch the cable, strings, bridge, etc. Also, the pick up adjusting screws on both pick ups crackle when touched. I'm assuming a ground issue but can't seem to locate it. I've used a multimeter to check between the jack and all components. With the exception of the pick ups and the mini toggles, everything seems to have good continuity. I checked the pick ups by contacting between the jack and pick up poles and got infinite, the toggles read 2.9 and 3.0. Also looked in the wiring cavity, but everything appears intact, there are, however, some solder joint that look less than shiny. Hum remains regardless of cable, amp, location.
Seller has agreed to pay for repair, but I thought I'd try to suss it out my own before taking it in to a tech. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer

Kip

This is normal function for a guitar. What you hear is what I call buzz: interference being picked up by the electronics. The bridge is grounded to the electronics, so any time you touch part of the circuit your body serves as the dump-off point for that noise.

You can cut down on the interference by shielding the electronics cavity.

Thanks Garret. The cavity has shielding paint from the factor. I'm wondering does there need to be a ground to the shielding?

Back