How to best equalize pup volumes

drdbl

CE 24 - Bridge and Neck pup's adjusted to PRS specs. Bridge pup plays louder than neck. What's the best recommendation: Lower the bridge or raise the neck? (I really like the way the bridge sounds, but that just may be due to the sound volume)

Typically, I max the volume control on the guitar and use a volume pedal into the amp. But what is the best way to equalize the guitar pup volumes going to the amp?

Thanks

If you like the bridge pickup where it is, try moving the neck pickup. There aren't really any rules to it. If you get some strange warble in your tone, back the pickup off a bit, it is too high to work well. It is a free and easy adjustment that won't hurt anything. Play with it and find what you like best.

Thanks. I've adjusted pickups, but only to what the "manufacturer" recommends, not to how it sounds best to me. I can come up with several theories as to why neck pickups are typically set higher than bridge, but can't say I know the real reason.

Thanks. I've adjusted pickups, but only to what the "manufacturer" recommends, not to how it sounds best to me. I can come up with several theories as to why neck pickups are typically set higher than bridge, but can't say I know the real reason.
It is opposite of that. The neck pickup is typically farther away from the strings than the bridge pickup. The reason for that is there is much more string oscillation where the neck pickup is than what there is where the bridge pickup is because the bridge pickup is closer to where the strings touch the saddles on the bridge. The magnetic field picks up the string oscillation and that gets turned into an electronic signal. More movement detected equals a stronger electric signal.

I apologize. Totally misstated what I intended. Meant to say I know why neck pickups are set lower than bridge and they they generally produce louder volume (because of everything you said above). Mine are set correctly (PRS specs) but the neck pickup has lower volume. Not sure how much adjustment is required to affect volume level.

I apologize. Totally misstated what I intended. Meant to say I know why neck pickups are set lower than bridge and they they generally produce louder volume (because of everything you said above). Mine are set correctly (PRS specs) but the neck pickup has lower volume. Not sure how much adjustment is required to affect volume level.
Raise the pickup by turning each adjustment screw one complete turn at a time and then check the volume. Make sure to keep track of how many turns you've done so you can return to stock if needed.

Spec is a guideline.. every guitar, rig, and player is different. Use your ears to balance to what sounds the best to you. PRS pickups respond very well to to height adjustments.

Back