How is the SE Silver Sky's pickups compared to something like classic vibe strat?

waltuh

Apparently they're somewhat darker than typical strat pickups?
They're measured at 7.5k across all 3 pickups.

Classic vibe is very bright. They measure at 5.8k neck, 6.2 middle, 6.6 bridge.

I'm thinking about combining classic vibe pickups with one of JM635S so it goes 6.2 neck, 6.6 middle and 7.5 bridge so the set will be somewhere in between classic vibe and silver sky.

I didn't find the pickups in my SE Silver Sky to be dark at all. Maybe they've changed from the original run? Mine are both from the first year.

I found mine to be a little brighter than my Stratocasters. If anything, the SE Silver Sky pickups seem to have a little extra sizzle on top.

I have two SE Silver Skys and wanted more of the tone of an early 60's Strat. Or more of the sound of a USA made Silver Sky.

Wish we could purchase Silver Sky USA pickups but we can't.

So I replaced the pickups in both of my SE's with Chubtones wound by Mike Gray in Austin.

Mike's pickups and Duncan Antiquity Surfers are my favorite Strat replacement pickups.

I'm ordering some locking tuners for both of my SE Silver Skys from John Mann today.

You guys have converted me to locking tuners, and now l love them.

But today's the last day of his 20% off sale.

Last edited:
I'm ordering some locking tuners for both of my SE Silver Skys from John Mann today.

You guys have converted me to locking tuners, and now love them.

Just curious -- is there a difference between the tuners John Mann sells and the tuners you can buy from the PRS store? Or was it just the 20% off that encouraged you to buy from Mann?

Thanks!

Just curious -- is there a difference between the tuners John Mann sells and the tuners you can buy from the PRS store? Or was it just the 20% off that encouraged you to buy from Mann?

Thanks!
The 20% off was nice. John also takes my old tuners in trade and gives me a store credit for them.

I did put locking tuners on my SE Silver Skys. Went for the Gibson style buttons. I think they look nicer.

Also replaced the gray plastic truss rod covers with Indian Rosewood that matches the fingerboards.

After:
Before:

Last edited:
The 20% off was nice. John also takes my old tuners in trade and gives me a store credit for them.

I did put locking tuners on my SE Silver Skys. Went for the Gibson style buttons. I think they look nicer.

Also replaced the gray plastic truss rod covers with Indian Rosewood that matches the fingerboards.

After:
Before:

Those new tuners look great! I was just going to replace my tuners with the locking version of the Silver Sky tuners, but seeing what you've done, I'm rethinking that. Those tuners with the Gibson style buttons -- are those just the PRS vintage tuners?

And the rosewood truss cover also looks fantastic. Did you make that?

Those new tuners look great! I was just going to replace my tuners with the locking version of the Silver Sky tuners, but seeing what you've done, I'm rethinking that. Those tuners with the Gibson style buttons -- are those just the PRS vintage tuners?

And the rosewood truss cover also looks fantastic. Did you make that?
I'm not sure. about the locking tuners...whether John alters existing tuners to create them or how he does it.

I have one version of John's locking tuners on my SE Bernie Marsdens, that look identical to those on my SE Silver Sky except they use a smaller screw and have smaller mounting holes.

Those that John sent me for the SE Silver Sky have slightly larger diameter screws and screw holes. They match the screws PRS uses too.

I HOPE I'm remembering that right. It's one or the other but the screws and holes are larger and smaller and you want the right tuners for the guitar.

So call or write to MannMade and just tell them the exact model guitar and you should get what you need.

I'd ask for Ivory. That's the prettiest I think.

Didn't make the rosewood truss rod cover. Bought them for $20 from a seller named "bob-a-bouy" on eBay.

Bob does nicer work than some of the other guys making solid wood truss rod covers. I've replaced the plastic covers on most of my PRS SE's.

Here's one he made out of flamey maple.

Last edited:
Apparently they're somewhat darker than typical strat pickups?
They're measured at 7.5k across all 3 pickups.

Classic vibe is very bright. They measure at 5.8k neck, 6.2 middle, 6.6 bridge.

I'm thinking about combining classic vibe pickups with one of JM635S so it goes 6.2 neck, 6.6 middle and 7.5 bridge so the set will be somewhere in between classic vibe and silver sky.
So you’re going for the Classic Sky sound. That’s all I got.

I find the stock SE SS pickups to be sensitive to height adjustment and they seem to get fatter the closer they are to the strings. Honestly I can put whatever pickups I want in there but I am digging the stock ones at the moment.

Back