How do I dial in the PUPs on a stock 2002 Mccarty?

artvandelay

Okay, so I just recently picked up a mint 2002 McCarty in blue matteo (would post a pic but I don't seem to have a "manage attachment" option).

This is a stunning guitar. I love McCarty's...I used to own a 2004 and it was my main gigging axe for, well, years.

The guitar sounds lovely through my HW AC15 but I feel the PUPs need to be dialed in a little more (to bolster clarity/high-end) What are some general settings/measurements that people have found work well?

As this is a 2002, I gather that this guitar is wired differently from newer (post 2006) models. Apparently this mod to the wiring improves top-end and roll-off. What would be involved in doing this mod to my 2002?

Cheers!

Use your ears through your amps. ..

Cheers for this!

I've spent a good deal of time tinkering and listening with my ears. I just want to get some other people's perspective on this before I rip out the stock PUPs.

You may look in the cavity and make sure someone didn't alter the circuit. If you liked the pups in your first McCarty, you would probably like them in this one. I'd start by setting them to factory spec and adjust the heights from there.

You may look in the cavity and make sure someone didn't alter the circuit. If you liked the pups in your first McCarty, you would probably like them in this one. I'd start by setting them to factory spec and adjust the heights from there.

What are the factory specs? Do the factory specs just detail the distance btw the top of the pole pieces to the bottom of the strings or do they also specify the distance btw the PUP cover to the bottom of the strings?

The wiring is all stock in her. Since owning my last McCarty, I've been mainly playing an MM90 Albert Lee Signature and a 2013 R8 (with custombuckers), so I think my ears are now accustom to more treble and high-end.

I was actually thinking about throwing a set of TV Jones Classics into this one, but, well, let me leave that for another day/thread!!

http://prsguitars.com/csc/setup.html
I measure in the middle of the pickup. Pole pieces is likely proper.
What are the factory specs? Do the factory specs just detail the distance btw the top of the pole pieces to the bottom of the strings or do they also specify the distance btw the PUP cover to the bottom of the strings?

The wiring is all stock in her. Since owning my last McCarty, I've been mainly playing an MM90 Albert Lee Signature and a 2013 R8 (with custombuckers), so I think my ears are now accustom to more treble and high-end.

I was actually thinking about throwing a set of TV Jones Classics into this one, but, well, let me leave that for another day/thread!!

If you want to increase the high end, lower the pickups by using the two screws that mount them on the pickup mounting ring. Then, raise the pole piece screw for the G, B, and high E strings a little.

Brad737 has the correct approach for what you're after.

I will spend an afternoon working on pickup adjustment. I usually start with fresh strings and while they are off pull pickup rings off and adjust height screws so pickup is all the way down just before they come off the screws. You can do this with pickups mounted but if they fall off the screws then you have to take strings and rings off to put them back on.

I start playing and raising bridge pickup a tiny bit at a time until I find the sweet spot. Once that's done then I use both pickups activated to get the middle position dialed in by raising neck pickupa tiny bit at a time.

Once the middle position is dialed in then I'm done. I keep a small Phillips screwdriver with me the next time I gig with the guitar in case I need to make further adjustments.

This works for me. Good luck.

thanks for the advice.

my mate just took the mccarty from me. he's gonna give'r a setup..he's also gonna do the 50s wiring mod. i told him I'm looking for a little more overall high-end.

i must say, i really dig this axe - blue matteo is my fav prs color. I did own a Studio a couple years ago but I just couldn't get into it, however this McCarty is a keeper.

Back