Honeymoon is ending early - Updated: back on again

loocnmad

Specializing in Dental Law
While I love the setup and playability I'm almost a week in and the electronics on my CU24 are unforgivable for an instrument that costs over $5k. Breaks my heart to say it may be going back. Nothing in this price range should be a fixer upper. I'll contact PRS in the morning but here's list of what I've found so far.

One of the wires broke off the switch before I even opened the back plate. Couldn't fix it right away because the documentation on the site doesn't match what is actually on the switch. There is no official documentation for the 85/15 pickups and the wire colors which, for some reason, don't match the rest of the lineup so it took some trial and error to get it soldered back correctly. What I've read so far says the wire colors don't even match between the neck and bridge pu's.

This is a very noisy guitar. There all all kinds of random buzzes and pops when playing. I don't even have to touch the controls. Move up and down the frets quickly and you can hear what sounds like static coming through.

The knobs don't sit firmly on the pot posts. Gently touching a knob you can feel some play in it. This causes more pops in the signal just from touching it.

I thought I could live with the switch popping when changing positions but it's so loud while playing I find myself avoiding it.

The soldering work is amateur at best. Solder is globbed on and the wires are mostly set at sharp angles that put additional stress on the filament making it more likely they will break. Or should I say, continue breaking.

All of this was tested in multiple rooms, through multiple amps, multiple cables, and with multiple other instruments for a baseline.

Setup and playability are the core components to a great guitar IMO. Electronics....well they can be repaired and replaced and if you bought new under warranty. Used...well lots of questions there...but all repairable. Electronics are the easy part.

I think this is an unusual experience for a prs. I'm not going to make excuses for it, because you're right. It should never happen on a guitar that costs that much. But in general these kinds of problems on prs guitars are rare. Really sorry to hear you got a lemon.

If this is your first prs, I really hope you try another someday because most are flawless.

It was purchased brand new. I realize it's an exception but it's very disheartening. At this price I don't have a lot of tolerance to wait potentially weeks or longer to send it off while someone tries to figure it out.

Alot of the static noise could be literal static electricity, in dry winter climates.

But the rest of it? I'd be pissed too... return it. Or at least EXCHANGE it. It's possible you got a dud? My DGT was flawless right out of the box.

Sorry you are having this experience. I have always had very positive experiences with my PRS guitars and wish you the same. I would contact the dealer about the issue. If they are no help contact PRS customer service. It is possible that they would have you send the guitar to them. If they do, it will be everything it should be when you get it back. They will replace anything that needs it and make it play and sound great. If you are under a trial time with it, it may be best to return it and get another one. Again, that could be a conversation with the dealer. If you really like the look of this particular one, sending it in to PRS may be the best answer. It will take some time to ship it to them and let them work on it but this will give you the best results. Try to be patient. They will make it right.

I agree with the above it’s a dealer issue first then PRS if needed. Not to be old and crusty but don’t these dealers check the guitars when they arrive? Not the hundred point inspection ala car dealer bs but at least plug them in ugh. The few new PRS I’ve bought off the Verb in each purchase the dealer reached out to me and asked how I wanted the guitar set-up ( strings, action etc) and in each case they came in perfect. Good luck and sorry it went this way I would have been pissed.

My ” Paul’s” nut could use a nut replacement, it’s high E is too close to the edge. I HAVE to call them…….

^ That’s interesting, is it the location of the nut as installed or literally the spacing as in it was cut wrong. Wow I would have thought they reached into the old bag of nuts and installed them. Yikes

It was purchased brand new. I realize it's an exception but it's very disheartening. At this price I don't have a lot of tolerance to wait potentially weeks or longer to send it off while someone tries to figure it out.
That does sound pretty messed up but sometimes the PRS electronics are not as good as they should be. If you like the guitar aside from that problem, work with your dealer to get that fixed and I think you'll be happy in the long run.

I think may just bring it to the local tech to get it worked over. The cost of shipping alone makes it not worth it to send back.

If you're in the Dallas/Fort Worth area and need a good luthier let me know and I'll give you his info.

^ That’s interesting, is it the location of the nut as installed or literally the spacing as in it was cut wrong. Wow I would have thought they reached into the old bag of nuts and installed them. Yikes
Not sure……. I am happy with the guitar, very, just like all my PRS!
Just need it tweaked.

Last edited:
While I love the setup and playability I'm almost a week in and the electronics on my CU24 are unforgivable for an instrument that costs over $5k. Breaks my heart to say it may be going back. Nothing in this price range should be a fixer upper. I'll contact PRS in the morning but here's list of what I've found so far.

One of the wires broke off the switch before I even opened the back plate. Couldn't fix it right away because the documentation on the site doesn't match what is actually on the switch. There is no official documentation for the 85/15 pickups and the wire colors which, for some reason, don't match the rest of the lineup so it took some trial and error to get it soldered back correctly. What I've read so far says the wire colors don't even match between the neck and bridge pu's.

This is a very noisy guitar. There all all kinds of random buzzes and pops when playing. I don't even have to touch the controls. Move up and down the frets quickly and you can hear what sounds like static coming through.

The knobs don't sit firmly on the pot posts. Gently touching a knob you can feel some play in it. This causes more pops in the signal just from touching it.

I thought I could live with the switch popping when changing positions but it's so loud while playing I find myself avoiding it.

The soldering work is amateur at best. Solder is globbed on and the wires are mostly set at sharp angles that put additional stress on the filament making it more likely they will break. Or should I say, continue breaking.

All of this was tested in multiple rooms, through multiple amps, multiple cables, and with multiple other instruments for a baseline.
How about a video clip of what you are experiencing………….

Well, after some serious internal debate and playing it some more, I really am enamored with everything else about it. So we're calling off the divorce!

I'll save a bundle on shipping and turn around time if I bring to the local luthier. I've seen him pull off some wonders in the past so I'm ok with it. It's not ideal but these things do sometimes happen and it doesn't change my opinion of PRS. I'd have no qualms about buying another in the future. Besides, this arrived days before I lost my dog and she would want me to have this. Miss/love you forever Zoe B (pause for deep emotional breaths)

We celebrated the news by getting some new clothes. New flamed maple pu rings are here, too, but haven't been installed yet.
cnzaWqv.jpeg

XhRe1zt.jpg

Well, after some serious internal debate and playing it some more, I really am enamored with everything else about it. So we're calling off the divorce!

I'll save a bundle on shipping and turn around time if I bring to the local luthier. I've seen him pull off some wonders in the past so I'm ok with it. It's not ideal but these things do sometimes happen and it doesn't change my opinion of PRS. I'd have no qualms about buying another in the future. Besides, this arrived days before I lost my dog and she would want me to have this. Miss/love you forever Zoe B (pause for deep emotional breaths)

We celebrated the news by getting some new clothes. New flamed maple pu rings are here, too, but haven't been installed yet.
cnzaWqv.jpeg

XhRe1zt.jpg
Glad you decided to hang on to it.

Sorry for your loss.

Glad you decided to keep it. I like the new back plates. I still have pickup rings that are maple to put on the guitar myself.

Sorry for your loss.

Back