Hollowbody vs Semi-Hollow

treillw

What are the tonal differences between a hollowbody and semi-hollowbody? Which do you feel is more versatile?

I'm trying to figure out what to get for my next guitar purchase and currently comparing the C24 semi-hollow and the Hollowbody II. I have played both and they both sound good to me, but I'm not really an expert on their differences and played the HB a long time ago. I'm pretty set on the piezo, so I guess that pretty much limits me to the HB II or private stock. It would be nice to have a trem too - the PS P24 trem semi-hollow seems awesome, but I don't think that's in the budget. I'm hoping that they will come out with a similar special model for the 30th anniversary.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I own 2 McCarty HB's, one with piezo, one without, as well as a ZM semi-hollow. I definitely did the shootout on them and maybe it's just me but I think the full HB just breathes a much more fuller life then the semi. The semi I will say has some great tonalities when clean, but distorted I'm just not hearing anything that stands out like the full HB.

The semi-hollow is a bit more resonant than the solid body; the full hollowbody is considerably more resonant.

Whether "a bit more resonant" is preferable to "considerably more resonant" is up to you.

The HB can do clean better than any PRS in my opinion and it delivers distortion sounds better than any hollow I know of.

Both are great. The HBs breath more. There's an openness that you start to get with the Semis, but it shines through in the HBs. Also, since you want the piezo, it's the only game in town without going private stock. Of course, if private stock IS an option, go with a SC HB II with piezoelectric trem and 408s! :wave:

I have an SCHBI and an SE ZM. Love 'em both. I like the piezo option and the overall vibe of the HB. The thing that slays me about the inexpensive ZM is the sustain time. I played a low E yesterday that was discernible for 35+ seconds. Not bad from an overseas axe! And, I coaxed some great, jazzy, clean tones from it on a cheap practice amp.

I am going against the grain here. Acoustically, I agree the hollowbody sounds more resonate than the semis, but to me, once you plug them in, the semi hollows sound more hollow and seem to resonate much better. They just sound bigger. I have tested this over and over again, because I love hollow guitars, but I hear it the above way every time. PRS does semi hollows better than any builder out there IMO. They sound HUGE.

This guy did a video comparison of Semi Hollow vs Hollow vs Solid. Not the exact models you're looking at but should give you an idea of the tonal differences to expect.

http://youtu.be/MCit33THpWc

This guy did a video comparison of Semi Hollow vs Hollow vs Solid. Not the exact models you're looking at but should give you an idea of the tonal differences to expect.

http://youtu.be/MCit33THpWc

In that video, I like the S2 the most. It sounds the biggest to me. Try a CU 22 semi hollow LTD and its going to sound bigger yet. Then try the old Artist 3 semi hollows with the separate back and McCarty depth, and it blows them all out of the water. Best semi hollow design ever to these ears, as you all well know. ;)

Does the guitar body (solid, hollow, SH,wood) affect the tone of the piezo?

Does the guitar body (solid, hollow, SH,wood) affect the tone of the piezo?

Yes it will, since the body and any cavities affect how the guitar resonates, and those resonations feedback to the strings, which vibrate the piezo. Whether it would be significant enough compared to other variables in the creation of a guitar and the noise it makes I can't say for certain, but I would expect it to be noticeable to the trained ear under controlled conditions.

shinksma, nice point. I was trained to become an Ammo Tech Officer. Due to the fact that certain ammunition have piezo electrical fuzes for igniting the "payload", a piezo won't take care of any resonance of a swinging "cave". It's not a microphone. But every structure borne sound. Therefore every external inducted vibration has an - more or less - impact on a piezo crystal. This vibration morphs the crystal which gives an electrical signal. This is transformed to a tone (when a string has been strung), or to "noise" if f.e. you hit the body.

Indeed I was convinced that a piezo driven hollowbody (my Linus) will sound more acoustically than a solidbody with piezo (my Parker).
But that isn't the fact. In both guitars are Fishman piezo systems. They sound the same.
As I mentioned it before, but I will give more details of piezo technology: a piezo rests in the nut of the bridge. The string touches directly the certain piezo saddle. To reduce the impact of external vibration, knockings and so on, absorbing elements should be installed, that for the most only the string's vibration SHOULD form the tone.

I have no proof if a fixed bridge with piezo is more sensitive to external noise sources than a floating tremolo system, but there might be an influence how the tremolo system is mounted (vintage style, FR-style).

Last edited:
The piezo in my P22 Trem sounds better than every other PRS piezo-equipped guitar I've heard. I contribute the difference to be related to the actual trem, not the piezoelectric itself. There is an increased airiness and zing that sounds more acoustical than the others. That said, I like my Hollowbody SC II better through the magnetic pups (57/08s in both guitars).

Last edited:
I own 2 McCarty HB's, one with piezo, one without, as well as a ZM semi-hollow. I definitely did the shootout on them and maybe it's just me but I think the full HB just breathes a much more fuller life then the semi. The semi I will say has some great tonalities when clean, but distorted I'm just not hearing anything that stands out like the full HB.

In agreement with this assessment

Back