Hollowbody II anybody?

jbloggs

Am interested in the Hollowbody II, though the price is a bit steep. Top Level PRS guitars are hard to find in Australia and if you're lucky enough to find a shop that stocks the model you like, there'll only be one to try. Wouldnt order a $4000 + guitar online. Want hands on then purchase that gat.

Looks like I'll have to wait 'till I visit Japan again.

Anybody have any experience with the Hollowbody II?

Any and all info appreciated.

Yeah, I'm in the HB2 fan club as well. If I could only have two guitars for the rest of my life (perish the thought), an HB2 would be one of them.

Aus PRS

I've had a Hollowbody 2 for over a year now and it's a great guitar. So versatile and fun to play. Definitely recommend getting 2 amps though. I live just outside of Bris in Qld and can recommend Guitar World at Nerang on the Gold Coast. I've bought 3 PRS guitars through them and they will give a great deal if you bargain
I bought my first on line guitar on a month ago, a 12 string HB 2, from Manny's in Melbourne. Manny was also prepared to bargain and the guitar arrived well packed 3 days later ( fully insured). I felt safe covered by Australian law and I trust PRS quality now so new I'd get a good guitar
Hope that helps

Cheers

gbmt

Am interested in the Hollowbody II, though the price is a bit steep. Top Level PRS guitars are hard to find in Australia and if you're lucky enough to find a shop that stocks the model you like, there'll only be one to try. Wouldnt order a $4000 + guitar online. Want hands on then purchase that gat.

Looks like I'll have to wait 'till I visit Japan again.

Anybody have any experience with the Hollowbody II?

Any and all info appreciated.

I had a very nice HBII, but sold it to fund a HBSpruce with piezo. My old HBII did not have the piezo. Fantastic guitar, but you most likely will want the piezo option. Excellent guitars in all regards. I got my HBSpruce online through Jack Gretz. It is a wonderful guitar and I would not hesitate to buy that way again.

In the last month I used mine for a gospel/R&B gig, a straight-ahead jazz gig and blues-rock gig. It sounds with authority in all three. Think of it as a 335-style with more depth, separation, sweetness and versatility.

What everybody else said. My first PRS was a HBII (hence my username) which started me down the path that is PRS. Haven't turned back. Very versatile model. Go for it!!!

How do the PRS hollowbodies (including the JA-15 and thinline SC-J) hold up in a hard rock context? I know most guys use them for jazz, and those are really the only type of reviews I can find on them.

How do the PRS hollowbodies (including the JA-15 and thinline SC-J) hold up in a hard rock context? I know most guys use them for jazz, and those are really the only type of reviews I can find on them.

Mike Einziger of Incubus used an Archtop during the Make Yourself and Morning View era. Great, fat heavy tones there.

I've thrown a lot of gain at my HBII and it is very controlled. You can get that singing Santana-like controlled feedback at will, which is crazy fun. The thing that will be missing is the tight crunch of a solid body, but that's just part of the nature of hollow (or semi-hollow) guitars.

PRS is probably the only brand I'd be comfortable buying sight unseen. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend that with the HBII. You know the quality will be there and weight doesn't vary much with this model.

I'm definitely with Hans: if I could only have two guitars, my HBII would be one of them.

Whereabouts in Aus are you jbloggs?

As Gbmt said, you can trust PRS quality so ordering one online is no problem. I've bought 2 new PRSes from the US, and one used from a certain Canadian dealer, and have been more than happy with the outcome.

I'm in Tas...

I haven't seen a semi-hollow in Aus (plenty of hollowbody IIs and SCs), but yeah, from what the guys say on here (e.g. Les, Tag, etc, who's opinions I respect highly) they sound like a great axe and would be worth the risk (for me) of importing one. I'd probably chuck some 53/10s in there tho!

One of my big concerns about the HBII is the lack of a tone (and to a lesser extent) volume knob for each pick up. I have Godin Multiac Jazz which not only allows you to blend the humbucker and piezo but each has tone control so you can really play with dark/light in many ways. Has anyone ever modified at PRS Hollowbody to allow for tone control of each pick up? I'm guessing you can't even do that for the piezo though?

Back