History of PRS Hollowbodys?

DougGuitar

Does anyone know the history of PRS Hollowbodys over the years? I have a PRS Hollowbody Standard, and I know about the Hollowbody II and McCarty 594 Hollowbody II. But what else over the years? Semis need not apply here.

From the PRS website, under Model History:

McCARTY HOLLOWBODY: 1998 - Current. Also known as HOLLOWBODY - carved spruce top with carved mahogany back and sides. Hollowbody I - carved maple top with carved mahogany back and sides. Hollowbody II - carved maple top and back with mahogany sides. Hollowbody Spruce - Spruce top, mahogany back and sides, Hollowbody 12 (12 string version, maple top). All models are 1 3/4" depth at rim, 3" depth at bridge, 22-fret wide-fat mahogany neck, rosewood fretboard, PRS adjustable stoptail bridge, and McCarty Archtop pickups with 3-way toggle. Piezo bridge pickup option added in 1999.

From the PRS website, under Model History:

McCARTY HOLLOWBODY: 1998 - Current. Also known as HOLLOWBODY - carved spruce top with carved mahogany back and sides. Hollowbody I - carved maple top with carved mahogany back and sides. Hollowbody II - carved maple top and back with mahogany sides. Hollowbody Spruce - Spruce top, mahogany back and sides, Hollowbody 12 (12 string version, maple top). All models are 1 3/4" depth at rim, 3" depth at bridge, 22-fret wide-fat mahogany neck, rosewood fretboard, PRS adjustable stoptail bridge, and McCarty Archtop pickups with 3-way toggle. Piezo bridge pickup option added in 1999.

12thFret has one of those for sale right nopw:

I kinda do know the history of the hollowbody models, but how do I explain it..? Let's see:

Basically they appeared in about 1998, and most of them died off in either '01 or '04, with only the Hollowbody II continuing past that. (And then the 594 HB II appearing, and even later the SE HB's appeared.)

• If it's got the name "Hollowbody," then it's going to be a 3" thick body at the bridge [1-3/4" thick at the sides].

• If it's got the name "Archtop," then it's a thicker 4" at the bridge [2-3/4" at the sides].

• If it has a "II" in its name, then it's going to have flamed maple top AND back ("II" = two maple tops) with mahogany sides.

Without a "II" in its name, it'll generally have a mahogany back.

• If it has "Spruce" in its name, it'll have a spruce top; otherwise assume maple top.

There is a random Archtop "IV," which has a spruce top and maple back; but for the most part everything's going to pertain to the aforementioned bulleted classifications. Match together any combination of the words "hollowbody" or "Archtop," and "II [or not]" and/or "spruce [or not]" and you've got yourself a unique model.

Thanks Not Dave.
I kinda do know the history of the hollowbody models, but how do I explain it..? Let's see:

Basically they appeared in about 1998, and most of them died off in either '01 or '04, with only the Hollowbody II continuing past that. (And then the 594 HB II appearing, and even later the SE HB's appeared.)

• If it's got the name "Hollowbody," then it's going to be a 3" thick body at the bridge [1-3/4" thick at the sides].

• If it's got the name "Archtop," then it's a thicker 4" at the bridge [2-3/4" at the sides].

• If it has a "II" in its name, then it's going to have flamed maple top AND back ("II" = two maple tops) with mahogany sides.

Without a "II" in its name, it'll generally have a mahogany back.

• If it has "Spruce" in its name, it'll have a spruce top; otherwise assume maple top.

There is a random Archtop "IV," which has a spruce top and maple back; but for the most part everything's going to pertain to the aforementioned bulleted classifications. Match together any combination of the words "hollowbody" or "Archtop," and "II [or not]" and/or "spruce [or not]" and you've got yourself a unique model.

Thanks GM. Was the Paul Jackson an Archtop or Archtop IV? All these PRS combinations sure do get corn-fusing for a new lad! :D

Thanks Not Dave.

Thanks GM. Was the Paul Jackson an Archtop or Archtop IV? All these PRS combinations sure do get corn-fusing for a new lad! :D

The JA-15 was definitely a thicker/larger singlecut hollowbody, but I cannot confirm whether it's the same thickness as an "Archtop" or not. But it did have spruce top, mahogany sides, and maple back.

Does anyone know the history of PRS Hollowbodys over the years? I have a PRS Hollowbody Standard, and I know about the Hollowbody II and McCarty 594 Hollowbody II. But what else over the years? Semis need not apply here.
What do you have against the semis? I’m in the market just looking for opinions.

Back