help deciding on my next PRS

gioforce76

Bartender to the stars
I have been looking at purchasing another PRS but not sure which one to get. I am selling a few of my other guitars off to get my next guitar. I am leaning towards a Tremonti or a custom 22. also was thinking maybe a sc250. It will be a used guitar. My highest price I can go will be 3000. I'm just looking for some opinions/ideas on what I should get next. Thank for the help.
I play in a cover band , playing everything from pop to country to rock/hard rock.

They're all great. Of those three, the CU22 would be pretty darn adaptable to a lot of styles and lighter to gig with.

But you know...I gotta say I have gone through periods where a Singlecut of one model or another was my only guitar, and I did recordings in every style with it just fine.

So I'm not being much help, am I?

What do you play? What do you like about it? But most importantly...

What's missing?

For $3K you can get ALOT of used PRS. You could get a brand new Brent Mason or CE24 and have alot of change left over for strings :)

Versatility means alot of different things to people. A used 513 would probably get you closest to "jack of all trades" with all of the single and humbucking options. That being said, the splits on the newer 85/15s (CE24) and 408s (BM) are wonderful.

The good news is you won't pick a bad guitar! I would start out by deciding how many frets & what neck shape you like and then work up from there. Happy hunting!

Reactions: CVS
There is at least one HB II with piezo on Reverb in your price range. That will give you lots of options, including a pseudo-acoustic sound.

If you want a solid body, well, there are so many options on the used market for PRSi, CU22s or SCs or 513s or whatever under $3K, I wouldn't know where to start. There are 334 electric PRS guitars on Reverb right now between $1500 and $3000. (Price range most likely to exclude all SEs and most S2s...)

Also, check out GC's used equipment webpage - lots of core PRSi there.

I would look for an Artist II. The early Artist series were made by the custom shop [pre private stock], with the best materials PRS had. Way underpriced today in my opinion.

I don't think I mentioned that I like the pattern thin or pattern fat necks. I am trying to avoid any nut widths that are 15/8 and the artist 2 that i looked up thats what it said the nut width is. 1 5/8 is not too comfortable to me after awhile thats why I have been selling my music man guitars. beautifully built guitars and the necks feel great but the nut width to me isn't comfortable.

I would look for an Artist II. The early Artist series were made by the custom shop [pre private stock], with the best materials PRS had. Way underpriced today in my opinion.

I had one, but the guy who now owns it would never sell it for anywhere near that price.

I don't think I mentioned that I like the pattern thin or pattern fat necks. I am trying to avoid any nut widths that are 15/8 and the artist 2 that i looked up thats what it said the nut width is. 1 5/8 is not too comfortable to me after awhile thats why I have been selling my music man guitars. beautifully built guitars and the necks feel great but the nut width to me isn't comfortable.
According to the PRS book and an original catalog from that era, the neck for Artist II's was wide fat, with the slightly bigger nut width of 1 11/16".

Last edited:
Back