Headstock Paint Chips - Battle Scar or Touchup?

Jimmy

See Subject. Those 45-degree bonus room ceilings and my Custom 24 headstock sure love to get together. Would you be proud of seeing the exposed wood or eventually plan to try to do a touch-up job?

If it's going to keep happening I wouldn't touch it up, but if I came up with a solution to minimize it happening I'd consider a touch up.
There's always the old glue acoustical foam on the ceiling trick...

"Wait, you'd do that just to stop banging your guitar up against the ceiling? That's nuts."

"See my previous post for confirmation of that." ;)

Funny enough, it doesn’t seem to happen as much with my 22 fret guitars. That extra 1 or 2 inches makes a difference in tight spaces.

Touchup. Then figure out a different way to take your guitar off. I have had an occasional issue with ceiling fans. Thankfully none of those left a mark. After the second time of that happening, I learned to take the guitar off without putting the headstock in the air. I don't bang them into anything above me now.

Being a luthier , I endeavor to keep all my instruments looking as new as possible , and baby them . I always have Nitro lacquer in the shop , so if there is a ding it is quickly addresed. Same reason I polish up my Harley ,Ducati, Triumph or Porsche every time we go out... as my riding buds would say ... You got to have Pride in your Ride ...

Yeah, I’m proud of my battle scars and let my guitars wear them with pride! Back in my live gig days the horns on the head stock of my PRS Guitars always seem to get well acquainted with the boom of the mic stand. ;)

I did this a few years ago after i got carried away with my bernie and a low ceiling. Found some matching touchup paint and went over the tip a few times over a week or so.
came out pretty good as it goes certainly don't look for it, but would i do it again!!!
( Dunno TBO).

Beat me to it :p

Back