HDRX20, can it get EVH, early 80s metal sounds?

CrankinCole77

Hey guys, had the HDRX20 with matching 1x12 for a while now and ablsolutely love it, im using the OX as attenuator and for recording. Im not using any OD pedals at the moment, just an ep booster, MXR Carbon Copy delay and EH Oceans 11 reverb, mainly just using the amps overdrive which is great but since it based on plexi I was wondering if anyone has been able to get some EVH, early 80s metal tones out of the amp and how? Thanks!

I don't know that the HDRX would be the ideal platform for that... if you wanted to get somewhat close, you'd want to use a variac, as that's a big part of the sound with any plexi amp going for the VH thing. But my experience has been that the HDRX is more of a vintage sound. Pushing it too hard, as you'd need to for hot 80's tones, can get mushy.

Perhaps one of the Friedman 20 watt heads would take you where you want to go.

you'd want to use a variac, as that's a big part of the sound with any plexi amp going for the VH thing.
Agree. I WISH I could try a variac before I buy one though, because that’s the main reason I’d want to try one. I’d expect it to get close though because the amps I’ve tried power scaling on definitely got brown sounding, regardless of their voice/eq, when voltage was reduced.

I Am Leaning Towards No On This One Based On The Info Shared.

I have an HDRX20. I would say the modifications done to the original Hendrix amp that this amp is based on make the amp softer, leaning more towards a JTM45 than a plexi. Not really a brown sound/VH amp to me.
That’s interesting and brings up the question… has anyone yet assessed the changes and expected tonal impact that would occur from them?

It’s a good point that we don’t know yet what changes were made. Paul did say that some of the changes made were to make absolutely certain this thing didn’t blow up on the road. In one clip, he even something like, they went overboard to assure that it didn’t blow up on the road. This is interesting after what @Em7 just said about Marshall’s being unreliable back then.

Agree. I WISH I could try a variac before I buy one though, because that’s the main reason I’d want to try one. I’d expect it to get close though because the amps I’ve tried power scaling on definitely got brown sounding, regardless of their voice/eq, when voltage was reduced.
I'm going to play with my variac tomorrow.

I'm going to try running my studio jcm800 head a little lower than 120volts.

The variac i bought was 180.00. It has two outlets on it too.

The dial on top isn't very accurate so I used my fluke meter to make sure I was at 120 volts.

I'll pm my contact info.

The dial on top isn't very accurate so I used my fluke meter to make sure I was at 120 volts.
This is a good thing for anyone trying a Variac. I bought one brand new (still have it) and the dial on top isn’t usually accurate, and of course will fluctuate with the incoming voltage. You really need to put a meter on the output and set the dial with that, disregarding what number the dial is pointing towards, to make sure you’re getting the voltage you think you are.

I, like most guitarists who get one, was trying the EVH legend out, but also found that if you own vintage amps, it’s a great way to feed them the voltage they were intended to use.

That’s interesting and brings up the question… has anyone yet assessed the changes and expected tonal impact that would occur from them?

It’s a good point that we don’t know yet what changes were made. Paul did say that some of the changes made were to make absolutely certain this thing didn’t blow up on the road. In one clip, he even something like, they went overboard to assure that it didn’t blow up on the road. This is interesting after what @Em7 just said about Marshall’s being unreliable back then.

I'll make the disclaimer up front that I'm not a huge Hendrix nerd and I'm also not particularly enthralled with Marshalls. Nonetheless, I might suggest doing some research on the "west coast organ and amp" amp.

Hey guys, had the HDRX20 with matching 1x12 for a while now and ablsolutely love it, im using the OX as attenuator and for recording. Im not using any OD pedals at the moment, just an ep booster, MXR Carbon Copy delay and EH Oceans 11 reverb, mainly just using the amps overdrive which is great but since it based on plexi I was wondering if anyone has been able to get some EVH, early 80s metal tones out of the amp and how? Thanks!
I just got an HDRX 20 and if you want evh brown sound I'd say look elsewhere.

80s metal should be within this amps ability but it might take a pedal to arrive there .....maybe.

I don't know that the HDRX would be the ideal platform for that... if you wanted to get somewhat close, you'd want to use a variac, as that's a big part of the sound with any plexi amp going for the VH thing. But my experience has been that the HDRX is more of a vintage sound. Pushing it too hard, as you'd need to for hot 80's tones, can get mushy.

Perhaps one of the Friedman 20 watt heads would take you where you want to go.
My HDRX 20 doesn't appear to like lower input voltage.

I ran my variac down to 110 vac and I didn't care for it.

To be fair, I was using an attenuator to keep the volume in check but I was running master at 75% roughly.

Interestingly there's been threads on using Plexis for metal on the Marshall forums recently too.

As a fifty something who came from this time, I find it amusing. Firstly and most obviously, what is meant by 'metal' has changed a lot over the years. The sort of thing now meant would have been at home in an obscure subgenre back then. Second, Plexis were at the heart of a lot of 80s guitar - although usually modded, either with PPIMV or something that amounted to an extra gain stage in the preamp. Third, and core to the variac thing; it's the poweramp distortion that's really valued in Plexis and without adding variacs or power soaks of whatever kind - that means volume -and even a 50w Plexi is LOUD.

Regardless, look in the rigs of almost any period 80s metal hero and if they used Marshall you'd find some flavour of Plexi or JCM800 and a lot of outboard equipment.

I guess this is a really long way of saying 'yes, but there are easier ways...' 🙂. JCM800s are a great starting place but even the unpopular models are crazy money now.

My HDRX 20 doesn't appear to like lower input voltage.

I ran my variac down to 110 vac and I didn't care for it.

To be fair, I was using an attenuator to keep the volume in check but I was running master at 75% roughly.
Did you try lower voltage and no attenuator? I've never thought through how an attenuator might play into the variac experience, but that doesn't mean that is the problem. What attenuator are you using? Did you go down to 105v, 100v, 95v, etc?

Interestingly there's been threads on using Plexis for metal on the Marshall forums recently too.

As a fifty something who came from this time, I find it amusing. Firstly and most obviously, what is meant by 'metal' has changed a lot over the years. The sort of thing now meant would have been at home in an obscure subgenre back then. Second, Plexis were at the heart of a lot of 80s guitar - although usually modded, either with PPIMV or something that amounted to an extra gain stage in the preamp. Third, and core to the variac thing; it's the poweramp distortion that's really valued in Plexis and without adding variacs or power soaks of whatever kind - that means volume -and even a 50w Plexi is LOUD.

Regardless, look in the rigs of almost any period 80s metal hero and if they used Marshall you'd find some flavour of Plexi or JCM800 and a lot of outboard equipment.

I guess this is a really long way of saying 'yes, but there are easier ways...' 🙂. JCM800s are a great starting place but even the unpopular models are crazy money now.
After having the HDRX 20 for months now, I'd completely agree that a JCM800 would be a better starting place for 80s hard rock and metal tones. the HDRX needs gain and EQ to get into that territory. Timmy, Amp11 or other similar pedal which can trim bass, add treble and add some gain, will get it sounding really good for those tones!

Back