Got Horsemeat?

watelessness

Holy schnykies!

I'm not a pedal guy, never have been, so when the pedals came out i was a bit skeptical, while also being a bit "yeah, here, Paul, take more of my money because i buy all the things". But i resisted, seriously and successfully resisted... until now.

There is a tone that i've been chasing for certain types of music and have never been able to get it from my current amps (C, Archon 100, MT-15, HX-DA, Dallas), or previous amps (Sewell, H, Archon 25). Could any skilled guitarists get that tone on any of my past or present gear? I'm sure of it, but none of them are in my studio so i am stuck with only me.

So i gambled on the Horsemeat and holy crap, this is a cool pedal! i only had half an hour to play with it so far but it is a really cool tone shaper. i was playing through my Dallas (set to clean) and got some incredibly cool sounds. I used 4 guitars (Sig LTD, 594, McSHootout, and DGT with underwound pickups) and each guitar responded slightly differently to the pedal but a few tweaks here and there and i got rid of what i didn't like. To my ears the pedal doesn't really seem compress the dickens out of the guitar because the dynamics are still there which is hella sweet! i need to put in more hours with the pedal, and might even find that elusive tone that i've been seeking, but even if i don't, i can see myself using this a great deal.

Two fists of approval!
\m/ \m/

I demoed this pedal when it first came out. A lot of nice features and has a high quality feel. I do wish it had two separate stackable channels like KOT.

Is it a pedal that defines your sound?

By that I mean when I hear a guy playing through a Tubescreamer he sounds like a guy playing through a Tubescreamer.

I tend to like pedals that give me the boost and overdrive I like but other guitarists don't know how I'm doing it.

Brought my Klon KTR to a gig and sat it on my amp and left it on the whole time.

A really good guitarist came up after and asked if i had a boost built into my Strat!

By that I mean when I hear a guy playing through a Tubescreamer he sounds like a guy playing through a Tubescreamer.

I tend to like pedals that give me the boost and overdrive I like but other guitarists don't know how I'm doing it.

Brought my Klon KTR to a gig and sat it on my amp and left it on the whole time.

A really good guitarist came up after and asked if i had a boost built into my Strat!
At this point these are the pedals that are on most of the time:
Compressor at a fairly low setting. More boost than compression.
MXR Timmy, gain at 9-10:00. Very transparent, low gain.
MXR 10 band eq. This shapes my sound more than anything.
MXR Carbon Copy delay.

I do have an Archer Ikon that I use primarily as an overdrive with my Silver Sky, stacked into the Timmy.
Lately I have been using a Tone Bender fuzz, also stacked into the Timmy as well.

Great review on the Horsemeat (still up there in the running for the worst name ever). I just picked up a “Wind Through The Trees” flanger, and plan on adding the other two just to have the set. I really like what I’ve heard from the Mary Cries compressor, and would like to hear what the OD pedal offers. I’m once again on the KoT waitlist, but might die before my name comes up again, so it’s always fun to see what else is out there.

Great review on the Horsemeat (still up there in the running for the worst name ever). I just picked up a “Wind Through The Trees” flanger, and plan on adding the other two just to have the set. I really like what I’ve heard from the Mary Cries compressor, and would like to hear what the OD pedal offers. I’m once again on the KoT waitlist, but might die before my name comes up again, so it’s always fun to see what else is out there.
I bought a KOT years ago and it died within 6 months. Not saying that’s normal, but mine wasn’t worth the wait. Sniff-testing diodes only gets you so far when you’re playing alone in the bedroom. If you’re playing with other musicians, the nuances are lost. Grab your favorite OD and go henceforth and ROCK!!!

I bought a KOT years ago and it died within 6 months. Not saying that’s normal, but mine wasn’t worth the wait. Sniff-testing diodes only gets you so far when you’re playing alone in the bedroom. If you’re playing with other musicians, the nuances are lost. Grab your favorite OD and go henceforth and ROCK!!!
Yeah, you’re right! I’ve had two KoTs. one standard one, one higher gain on one side. I liked the “higher gain“ version’s range of gain, so I sold the second one (again at cost, not scalping) with the intention of getting the higher gain on both sides. Unfortunately I timed that with the pandemic and have been on the list ever since. I love the pedal’s tone, but it’s not the only game in town. Used ones are crazy money, and that’s not gonna happen. I can wait.

I do have a Ryra Klone that is a wonderful pedal. I might just add a Tumnus or Horsemeat to that and approximate the KoT that way. It’s really all just for fun for me, as I normally gig my Fractal gear when opportunities surface. But I do use my amps at home a lot, take them to jams on occasion, and even add pedals to the FM9T as well.

I might be wrong, but my gut says there won’t be a lot more PRS pedals because it went quiet after introduction and I haven’t heard a peep since. I’d like to add them before they undergo the “NF3 Effect!”

EDIT: I got an offer on the Mary Cries compressor and was compelled to accept it. This is your fault, @watelessness !

Last edited:
So this thread got me interested in checking out the Horsemeat pedal. Today, I ran across this demo by RJ Ronquillo...all I can say is WOW

He definitely got so good sounds out of the pedal. I am neck deep in OD pedals at the moment and comparing them. I don't need to add another to the mix... really I don't. That was more for me... :)

In my opinion, no. I typically don’t like Klons, because with certain amps that Klon mid push is obscene and completely in the wrong place. Then it really sounds like you’re playing a Klon. But with the right amp, it’s magic. Possibly the best boost ever.

With the Horsemeat I find that I get a less pronounced aggressive low mid boost than with a Klon, and more distortion at a lower volume boost, but still a Klon-like overdrive. It’s that famous angry but clean and transparent overdrive, but maybe a bit more appropriate for a wider collection of amps. I’ve used the Horsemeat with 3 or 4 different amps and it has been unproblematic with each one. I like it.

But like any overdrive pedal, well, it’s an overdrive pedal. It either works for you or it doesn’t. For me it has worked better than Klons.

Paul digs the Crowther Hot Cake too.

So do I. When I really want MORE that's the pedal I step on.

I saw some new version 2 of this pedal at $179. I almost pulled the trigger on one yesterday. I figured I better wait a bit since I have purchased 4 pedals in the past month. It looks like there are a good number of them available at that price new. From what I read the only difference in this version is the moved the two dip switches from the inside to toggle switches on the top. The circuit has not changed.

Back