Giving it the Big Screw!

Boogie

Zombie Two, DFZ
This specifically applies to my SE one, but it applies to every guitar I own. The front strap button screw can work loose after stage antics and come completely out. I've come so close a couple of times that it scared me into making changes 4 different times on that guitar. The stock screw is fine until you install a Schaller strap lock that rotates in the socket when you move the guitar around. So I replaced the stock one with a USA screw that's 1/4" longer. No good. Then I used a 1-3/4" coarse thread drywall screw, ground down the diameter of the head and applied wood glue. Still backed out. I realized that the problem was from the strap button making direct contact with the screw head, forcing it to back out as it rotated. So I went this route...
screws.jpg

That's a 2-1/4" finishing screw w/ phosphate coating. If this backs out, I'm at a loss. I'll report back after the next gig this weekend.

This specifically applies to my SE one, but it applies to every guitar I own. The front strap button screw can work loose after stage antics and come completely out. I've come so close a couple of times that it scared me into making changes 4 different times on that guitar. The stock screw is fine until you install a Schaller strap lock that rotates in the socket when you move the guitar around. So I replaced the stock one with a USA screw that's 1/4" longer. No good. Then I used a 1-3/4" coarse thread drywall screw, ground down the diameter of the head and applied wood glue. Still backed out. I realized that the problem was from the strap button making direct contact with the screw head, forcing it to back out as it rotated. So I went this route...
http://maps.mikesmarauders.com/guitar/screws.j
That's a 2-1/4" finishing screw w/ phosphate coating. If this backs out, I'm at a loss. I'll report back after the next gig this weekend.[/QUOTE]
Stock screw with super glue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I use Schaller strap locks too, well ok, the Chinese copies you get on eBay for 10 for $19 (they're the same, I have original Schallers and the copies, and the copies fit the Schallers and vice versa)

C'mon, man...isn't anybody gonna ask what kind of stage antics are you performing??? Dats a big screw!!!! (...LOL)
I've always replaced strap button screws in other types of guitars with a larger screws and added pieces of toothpicks to snug them down!!!!
Also...Cheap bridge on one of my early basses...could see light under the bridge, so I snugged him down good and tite~!!!!
this also helped with sustain...

C'mon, man...isn't anybody gonna ask what kind of stage antics are you performing??? Dats a big screw!!!! (...LOL)
I've always replaced strap button screws in other types of guitars with a larger screws and added pieces of toothpicks to snug them down!!!!

As cool as it may have sounded, nothing too interesting is going on. Sadly. But it doesn't take much to get these to backout, which may have kept my Van Halen-esque "Eddie-leaps" to a minimum. :biggrin: (my back hurts just thinking about that)

The toothpick trick didn't do the job either. And that was a combo of toothpick and superglue. I was browsing thru the hardware section at Lowes when I came across these finishing screws. They're square drive, which is a pain for on-stage repair, but the phosphate coating is good for retention. The smaller head (hence the 'finishing') works perfectly with the Schaller strap button so I hope it makes a marked difference.

I always put a drop of Gorilla Glue in the hole before I put the screw in if I have a problem with it backing out. Its worked so far.

A couple toothpick-sized shims and some wood glue does the trick for me

Same here. I split a tooth pick with a razorblade, and set it in the hole with some super glue. Then drive the screw back in. I've swing it around my body regularly, and never had an issue.
Do this with Gibsons to with great success.

My main fear wwth driving a screw of that length into the body would be it twisting and breaking off inside. I've had that happen with standard length screws for straps. The others have said the best options... toothpicks and wood glue.

And as for the stage antics.... please don't tell us you spin the guitar over your shoulder on tha strap... please no!

I've always used multiple toothpicks with some wood glue. Almost to the point of completely plugging the screws hole. Glue on tip of screw and some down the threads. Has worked pretty well, don't remember the last time one has loosened on me.

I've always used multiple toothpicks with some wood glue. Almost to the point of completely plugging the screws hole. Glue on tip of screw and some down the threads. Has worked pretty well, don't remember the last time one has loosened on me.

Same here. Wedge recommended that to me about a month ago, works fine so far (thanks, Wedge!)

Back