Getting insurance (and/or an appraisal) for PRS Private Stock, and other guitars

legbuh

Hi, all!

I am curious what others have done to get insurance for expensive guitars, like PRS Private Stock.

I recently went through a whole runaround with my insurance company (state farm). I don't use my guitars for gigging (they asked, and I do understand they should be covered under homeowners in that case) but I wanted to add them to a personal articles policy, like we do for my wife's jewelry).

Anyhow, on 2 guitars, a PRS CE24 and a PRS PS, they denied coverage because of "no appraisal within 2 years". They didn't even ASK for that... These guitars are valued over 1k, which is why they seem to require an appraisal.

But of course all the lower prices guitars they added. I told my agent to tell them if they don't take the other two (especially the PS) they won't get any and I'm looking for a different insurer.

Sorry about the rant.. my blood is still boiling a little at the underwriter... lol

Anyhow..

1. Any good 3rd party insurance places that could insure an 7k+ PRS PS guitar.. and if it gets stolen/destroyed it could be replaced by a similar PS (since they seem to be one of a kind)

2. I've asked my agent this, but what is a good appraisal place? Local guitar shop (PRS dealer)? Hopefully my agent can get a list of appraisers they accept, but are there any they should accept without question? Maybe I should get them all appraised as I have a few others that are probably worth more than 1k, but I estimated a little more conservative.

I am afraid if I try to use a local dealer they give me "what they would give me for trade" vs an appraisal. :)

Thanks!

Thanks.. man, I just did a quick search with his id and think I may have hit the jackpot.. thanks for the heads up!

I can't wait to dig through all your info! I hooe that the private stock guitars question is covered since they're almost irreplacible. :)

I can't wait to dig through all your info! I hooe that the private stock guitars question is covered since they're almost irreplacible. :)
There is nothing specific to private stock guitars, but 11top’s past advice will guide you to what you need for any guitars of any value built by anyone.

And Sergio is right - if I was in an area he covered, I’d just have his firm look after it for me.

There is nothing specific to private stock guitars

We can agree to disagree on that. Lol..

Lots of good info though. I'd love to find an company that's not on the top 10 worst that will cover everything for the same prices.. I have a lot of collector cars as well that I insure through SF. They give me a hard time with those values too even though I know the market better than they do.

Back