Gear math quiz?

Ryebread

Not Texas Toast!
So I recently assembled this guitar rack I bought with a gift card from Christmas. When I ordered it should have held all my guitars. However, I have acquired a few more items since then. After I finally got around to putting it together they will no longer all fit in the rack. :rolleyes: I showed my wife and of course she laughed and asked did I think I have enough guitars? :mad: So I ordered another one the following day!! :p

In order to ease my mind or possibly confirm my insanity, I'd like to ask a little math question here. I know we are all guitarist so I won't make this to difficult.

Questions:
1) How many guitars are in your collection? Only include "your" guitars, not your wife's, kids, dogs, drunken uncles who lives in the basement, etc...

2) How many amps do you have? Big, small, loud, broke but works good as a foot rest, etc...

Just answer with a number for questions 1 and 2 will be sufficient.

It is not necessary to show your work when providing answers (i.e.: 1 Custom whack doodle in flamed fairy dust finish, blah blah...) But if you want to describe them that's fine too.

If you have other stringed instruments like: ukulele, banjo, mandolin, sitar, rebab, bouzouki or any other chordophones; list them separately or just don't even worry about it.

I'm not sure if this will get much attention. So I apologize in advance if this thread falls flat.

I guess I'll go first:

1) 9 guitars
2) 8 amps

And an ukulele...

Edit: If you want, also include the number of guitars you have either sold, traded, smashed, burned, lost or can't remember where you left it, etc... :(

Last edited:
Tiny compared to many here.
Guitars = 22
Amps = 8
Basses = 2
I also have a:
Banjo
Cigar Box Guitar (CBG)
Piano
Keyboard

3 guitars
2 amps
1-Bass
1-Mandolin

Sold?................way way way too many.:oops:

19 guitars
4 actual amps
1 Kemper

Traded...too many to remember between 1985 and today.

Have to admit, that's more than I ever tought to I would own at one time.

Last edited:
Well bodia and AP515 are making me feel better!

Here's the bad news, before I joined the Forum 2 years ago, I had 1 amp and 5 guitars. Slippery slope greased by a sh!t ton of enablers. And, I have to say, I love them all! My wallet, on the other hand, hates everyone here! :D

You boys are the best!

Well bodia and AP515 are making me feel better!

Perhaps it would be appropriate to mention my rules of acquisition:

1. Never go into debt for a hobby/pastime; never.
2. Never use money that is needed for living expenses; never.
3. If you want it and can afford it, buy it.
4. Trade or buy in the used market to try all the guitars and amps you want, and turn them later if you want, without loosing any money.
5. One in, one out, is useless limiting. Trade what you want, keep what you want.
6. Marry a woman who loves to see you happy (you also need to let her do the things that make her happy). Agree on a budget and stick to it. There is no need to hide or deceive for either of you.
7. Insure the expensive ones.
8. If you learn the other rules correctly, you can have more worth in your gear than you have diverted money. I would make about $10K profit if I sold all my gear at the going used prices and I bought 3 of the most expensive PRSi new.

At this point I look at new GAS inducing opportunities and I weigh them against the ones I have. Usually I just pull out one of the ones I have and the smile comes back and I wave goodbye to the new one. Still I do a trade or buy new when the one I am looking at seems a better fit than the one I have. I have yet to be disappointed.

4. Trade or buy in the used market to try all the guitars and amps you want, and turn them later if you want, without loosing any money.
5. One in, one out, is useless limiting. Trade what you want, keep what you want.
6. Marry a woman who loves to see you happy (you also need to let her do the things that make her happy). Agree on a budget and stick to it. There is no need to hide or deceive for either of you.
8. If you learn the other rules correctly, you can have more worth in your gear than you have diverted money. I would make about $10K profit if I sold all my gear at the going used prices and I bought 3 of the most expensive PRSi new.

At this point I look at new GAS inducing opportunities and I weigh them against the ones I have. Usually I just pull out one of the ones I have and the smile comes back and I wave goodbye to the new one. Still I do a trade or buy new when the one I am looking at seems a better fit than the one I have. I have yet to be disappointed.
Very well said and thought out! [hands clapping] I agree with and follow these exact same rules. (with exception to rule #7, unless it's considered all are covered under homeowners insurance) I especially like rule #5 and I wish I had followed this one several guitars... uh, I mean years ago.

We also share in the new GAS inducing strategy. Before my latest purchase I had pulled out my #1 (to be fair the majority qualify as my #1) and started playing, admiring and polishing it. Most of the time... well some of the... Well I'm pretty sure it has worked before and I too waive goodbye to the new one! It has happened, I'm almost sure it has happened?

Love this! I haven't followed all of them very well (I've done #6 the best, w00t!), so I feel like I should print the rules and tape them to my laptop. Or find a way to make them pop up on screen every time I browse to eBay, Reverb, Sweetwater, etc. :D

For me:
1) 5 (6 technically, but trying to sell one so it's mentally not mine anymore)
2) 2 (4 technically, if you count my mini Fenders)

Plus:
1 cheapo bass
1 cheapo lap steel
1 canjo (with a piezo pickup!)

I think I maxed at 10 guitars at one point. I've had 11 come and go leading up to the 5 left standing above.

1) 5 (but one of them is up for sale). 2 of the remaining four are core models, one is an SE and one is a mexi-telecaster (Feder Baja)
2) Probably more than 200. But they're all in my kemper. So just one, really.

I also have 1 bass and one (PRS) acoustic.

Back