G string sounds buzzy only through the neck pickup

GrabtharsHammer

Hey,
I have a problem with my PRS SE Standard. The G string sounds buzzy (sounds mechanical like fret buzz, not like an electronic shielding problem), but strangely the buzz is only audible when playing through the neck pickup. When I play the guitar clean without amplification I don’t hear any fret buzz, the string sounds totally fine. When I play the guitar through the bridge pickup (Seymour Duncan Custom Trembucker) I don’t hear any buzz, too. But through the neck pickup (Seymour Duncan 59) the G string sounds buzzy and „broken“ on every fret position. I already changed the strings several times, checked string and pickup height, checked the neck adjustment - all fine. And I gave it to a luthier to check it and have it set up correctly. Nothing helped. I also don’t hear any other rattling on the guitar and the pickup doesn’t seem to sit too loose. Any idea what that could be? Could perhaps the neck pickup be faulty?
Thanks in advance for your help!

I wish I could post a small sound clip here to demonstrate the issue. Yes, I guess a defective neck pickup seems likely - but wouldn't a defective pickup affect all strings and not just one string?

Last edited:
Just guessing here, but look at the pole piece for the G string and make sure it isn't rubbing on the string. Maybe the pickup is set too high and that pole piece is slightly higher than the rest.

Many thanks for your input!
I found a couple of people on the internet that seem to have the same problem with their G string. Some of them were finally able to fix it by exchanging the plain G string with a wound one. I just ordered one - wish me luck!
If that doesn't help I will definitely try to flip the neck pickup. Seems to be a good way to find our if the pickup is defective.

I think I have identified the problem.
First I flipped the neck pickup, but the G string still sounded bad. Okay, this at least showed that the pickup is perfectly fine.
But then I put a small piece of metal on the bridge right between string and saddle - et voila! The buzz vanished. I guess it's pretty safe to say that the Schaller Signum bridge I got installed last year is causing the problem. It leans forward pretty much and I'm not sure if this is because of bad quality or if the luthier didn't install it correctly. I wish I would have considered the other forum members' advice and bought the Mann bridge instead...

Last edited:
Back