Fractal fractal

And ultimately, it makes your outcome better. You say you can hear the difference - maybe you can, maybe it's a rationalization*, but that's not important.

I agree with this, though session players in other cities have occasionally sent me tracks done with a modeler that I spotted on first listen, and I asked them to redo the tracks with real amps.

However, there are also those very high gain sounds I don't care for or play very well in the first place, and I don't mind what they use to do the track, as long as the client is happy.

On one of the bigger campaigns that used high gain sounds, I was sure it was a modeler, but I was happy with the performance and kept the track. I don't claim to be 100% consistent. A lot depends on the performance. If it's great, I'll leave well enough alone.

Nonetheless, my own tracks (non metal, of course) are delivered with real amps. The majority of what I send in I'm the only player, so there's that.

What's important is that you feel strongly enough about it that if you used a modeler it would likely nag at you a bit and you'd think about how a real amp would be better. You're in a position where you don't have to compromise, and that allows you to focus on the art.

* - A talk show host here used to say, "A rationalization is more important that sex, and if you don't think so, just try to go a week without a rationalization."

Yes, this is true as well!

Last edited:
Playing out, heck, there are a ton of compromises, for most -- not the least of which is dragging the stuff around in order to play at all.
Exactly why members of Metallica, Aerosmith, Bryan Adams, Def Leppard use Fractal gear on tour.

Won't be surprised when they just put in tour contract riders to specify a few Fractal AxeIII units with specific firmware to be at the venues so the band can just carry a USB drive for the settings including presets, IRs and footswitch layouts.

Exactly why members of Metallica, Aerosmith, Bryan Adams, Def Leppard use Fractal gear on tour.
A very big reason, as I've said before, is that cartage for heavy amps and cabs costs a lot of money. Like, six figure money for a major tour with lots of amps and gear. And there are roadies that need to be paid.

However, there are plenty of good bands that don't or won't make that compromise, and also players who don't like the feel of modelers.

As you've seen from the many pics I've posted, my son uses real amps (mostly his trusty silver face Lone Star 100, or a vintage Vibrolux) on tours. But if someone insisted he go with a modeler, I'm sure he would, and not be upset at all.

Every circumstance is different, and it all comes down to the people making the call - as it should!

Won't be surprised when they just put in tour contract riders to specify a few Fractal AxeIII units with specific firmware to be at the venues so the band can just carry a USB drive for the settings including presets, IRs and footswitch layouts.
Those guys all have crews of people that move their gear and semi-trucks that it gets loaded into. I doubt that schlepping the gear around is the reason they decided to use the digital units.

Those guys all have crews of people that move their gear and semi-trucks that it gets loaded into. I doubt that schlepping the gear around is the reason they decided to use the digital units.
True, except that the cost of the cartage (include the roadies, and the truck, and the union loaders and unloaders at various venues here) is still insane, especially if the tour has stops in Europe.

However, maybe they like the sound of the modelers, or the repeatability, as lots of the shows are automated with MIDI patch changes, etc.

It's all dependent on the needs of the show, the money, and what the band simply likes.

True, except that the cost of the cartage (include the roadies, and the truck, and the union loaders and unloaders at various venues here) is still insane, especially if the tour has stops in Europe.

However, maybe they like the sound of the modelers, or the repeatability, as lots of the shows are automated with MIDI patch changes, etc.

It's all dependent on the needs of the show, the money, and what the band simply likes.
I am betting the biggest reason they would move to them is they like the sound of them and they are the same sound every time you plug into it. They don't have the same potential for sound fluctuations due to inconsistencies in power.

I am betting the biggest reason they would move to them is they like the sound of them and they are the same sound every time you plug into it. They don't have the same potential for sound fluctuations due to inconsistencies in power.
Consistency Night In And Night Out Is A Biggie.

This is a huge part of it, especially for smaller bands. When we saw Nita Strauss a few years ago and did the VIP thing, she answered a lot of questions, and one was "Why don't you have your Marshall stack for this?" And that was the main reason - cost. She said essentially, I can have my stack, or I can pay for the full band and staff that we have, and we can eat. The money has to come from somewhere."

Last edited:
This is a huge part of it, especially for smaller bands. When we saw Nita Strauss a few years ago and did the VIP thing, she answered a lot of questions, and one was "Why don't you have your Marshall stack for this?" And that was the main reason - cost. She said essentially, I can have my stack, or I can pay for the full band and staff that we have, and we can eat. The money has to come from somewhere."
I have heard this answer talking to quite a few touring band members.

For those I've spoken with who tour, it's more about the money than the consistency. But obviously, it's a relatively small sample size.

Back