First Run 1957/2008 Pickups

This thread is squealing all over the highway like a 67 Cadillac with bald tires in a rainstorm.

Until I saw the listing for those pickups, I had no idea that a “first run” version existed. I did my due diligence before I purchased them. When I posted I was hoping some more experienced and enlightened folks here might have some interesting backstory stuff, or opinions, related to these pickups. I am really beginning to regret having used the word “rare”.

This thread is squealing all over the highway like a 67 Cadillac with bald tires in a rainstorm.

Until I saw the listing for those pickups, I had no idea that a “first run” version existed. I did my due diligence before I purchased them. When I posted I was hoping some more experienced and enlightened folks here might have some interesting backstory stuff, or opinions, related to these pickups. I am really beginning to regret having used the word “rare”.
Should have said "VINTAGE". Everything's vintage these days even if the item is only 10 years old.

You know: "Here we have some vintage PRS pickups from 2013....."

Should have said "VINTAGE". Everything's vintage these days even if the item is only 10 years old.

You know: "Here we have some vintage PRS pickups from 2013....."

Could have said “how common are these?” “Anything unique about them?” “Do they differ from the current run?” “Why do they sound so much better?” “Are they wound with angel hair?” ;)

We didn't steal your "67 Cadillac.. just a joy ride! ;)

Things get down a highway here in discussions. Sometimes a little squirrely. I thought we answered the questions and side road discussion opened up. No malicious intent direct towards you from me. My comments were directed about asshat sellers.

There's a wealth of information discussed on here about the 5708. They're a board favorite with lots of variations over the years. Or ask, and we can get on track now that the rain has cleared..

I recently learned something new about them. The newest version, TCI, have different readings than the accessory store sold versions. The TCI read almost identical to my older 5708 sets. There's a post about it in a recent thread, along with several readings of mine and others.

Here's the thread I mentioned. Plenty more around here. We love our 5708, some prefer certain years, but we love them all equally if not differently. I personally like the variation as I have them in multiple guitars. Get the same flavor, but varying degrees of spice.

Here's the thread I mentioned. Plenty more around here. We love our 5708, some prefer certain years, but we love them all equally if not differently. I personally like the variation as I have them in multiple guitars. Get the same flavor, but varying degrees of spice.

After putting newer 5708's in my guitars and loving them, I bought a Stripped 58 and was a little disappointed with the pickup output.

I love the 57/08's I put in my Bernie Marsdens but the original 57/08's in that Stripped 58 were a bit weaker which led to me not playing the guitar much, and playing my Bernies instead.

I did swap them for some newer ones but I wound up putting the originals back in and selling it.

Back