Fiore - Played one - Impressions

Rider1260

The Fiore on paper should be a guitar I would love 25 1/2 " scale , Trem , maple neck, plenty of switching options.
That said its not the right guitar for me.
I wanted and played an Amaryllis Red one , the color is much more orange ( in a good way ) in person and the grain on the body and neck was very nice.
Impressions

1) Neck
It feels like a narrow pattern vintage , very round but more narrow than even a Pattern Regular.
The satin finish on the neck feels great , and the action was spot on out of the box.
I just didn't like the width of the neck.

2) Fit ,Finish , Misc
The Color was nothing like most of the pictures much more orange to my eye but very pleasing
I really disliked the trem and control covers just screwed into the body and not recessed, not sure why it bothered me but it didn't feel as quality as I am used to with my other PRS. There was also scratches ( minor ) in the finish I believe that could be easily buffed out and dealer would have handled that for me,
The satin Maple neck was really nice , frets and set up were perfect.

3) Tone
I really liked the positions that had more than one pickup going, the one tone pot adds the neck pickup or makes all three active when in the middle position ALL these positions sounded great. The tone controls are super useful.
Each pickup alone, for me it was just OK. could it have been strings , or the amp I was using ( JCM800 Combo ) sure. for what ever reason I didn't LOVE the tones I was getting. it was better with more gain and using the Vol knob than running straight clean. The balance between the pickups was spot on but the Parallel bridge pickup sound was not happening without the neck pickup added for me the bridge pickup was good but not great. I prefer the tone of the Silver Sky single coils on my ( 18 and 19 ) SS

Finally
I know its an artist guitar but for me it was the small details that PRS usually knocks out of the park that seem missing on this guitar.

If you like a longer scale guitar and a Humbucker guitar and play with gain , possibly drop tuning this guitar could be the one for you.

So for me my 513 is a better Super Strat , My Special Semi Hollow has better split tones and my Silver Sky has better single coil tones. I also like the build quality ( feel ) of the Silver Sky better ,the small tuner buttons , non resessed control plates just turned me off.

Back