Fillin' In ... Warning!!!! ... Eagles Content

IKnowALittle

Got a call this afternoon to fill in for "Glenn Frey" in an Eagles tribute band (not cover, there is a difference).
Cool, why not? Our band wasn't playing tonite.
I'm kinda an Eagles fanatic, but these guys are really hardcore. This is the third time i've filled in, so i guess i pass muster. I'm 46 and they are mid-twenties or so, can play all the chords and notes and sing. They are incredibly good technically, but honestly, lack a little feel. to be fair, it is unreasonable to expect 20 somethings to be able to capture the original spirit of the Eagles from the 70's, but I can.
anywho, took my Yamaha apx20 (white) from 1996 as my acoustic/electric, and of course I never go to any gig without my 2011 Studio. So, it worked out well.

Once in a while, I will get a budding guitarist asking me for advice on how to improve.
Generally, I point them to this ... lots of incredibly tasty licks, played really fast.
Even though, I learned long before this, I also tell them that I have some tab if they are interested, written by Guthrie Govan, so u know it's quality and accurate.
our band plays this occasionally. I've been around a long time, seen thousands (?) of bands, but I have never seen anyone play this except myself.
regardless, if u want to improve ... learn this.
anyone interested, I will send them the tab that I have.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, used to play that one a lot. One of my friends who I played guitar with in the late 70s played this for me in his car (I had it long before that of course) and said that he was the fastest guitar player in the world, which, when you're a teenager means "Bet you can't do this." I was used to playing Frank Marino stuff so the fast riff style playing was familiar. Used to play that one a lot back then. And I didn't even get all jacked up on .... anything... before doing it. :cool:

Back