Eric Johnson....

CatStrangler

PRS Enthusiast
Always loved his compositions, but he prefers too much upper mid-range emphasis for my tastes, nice to hear Cliffs of Dover on a DGT, and I think the result is more balanced to my ears. Also a great lesson!

Ps. I definitely see/hear some EJ influence in David Grissom's chord shapes after this..or is it the other way around? Austin in the late 80's must have been an amazing place to be!

Austin in the late 80's must have been an amazing place to be!

EJ's prime club gig days were the late '70s / early '80s - I first saw him at a bar in Dallas in '82, having just heard his name and that he was a good guitarist. I sat at at table probably 10 feet from his amps (painful). Texas was a great place for live guitar back then. Even Lubbock (where I went to college) got all the great players. My first band started out at open mic nights at the same bar that Joe Ely (who Grissom started out with) played.

Nice clip.

EJ's prime club gig days were the late '70s / early '80s - I first saw him at a bar in Dallas in '82, having just heard his name and that he was a good guitarist. I sat at at table probably 10 feet from his amps (painful). Texas was a great place for live guitar back then. Even Lubbock (where I went to college) got all the great players. My first band started out at open mic nights at the same bar that Joe Ely (who Grissom started out with) played.

Hey Goat, when were you in Lubbock? I grew up there, but couldn't wait to get out. Seeing Grissom, Joe Ely, John Ellis, the Maines Brothers, etc. up close and personal was cool. I left in '95, after graduating from TTU.

Nice clip.

Hey Goat, when were you in Lubbock? I grew up there, but couldn't wait to get out. Seeing Grissom, Joe Ely, John Ellis, the Maines Brothers, etc. up close and personal was cool. I left in '95, after graduating from TTU.

Hi Egads, I was there from '82-84. I went to HS in Plano, and moved to Georgia in 1985. I can certainly understand wanting to get away from Lubbock, although the college helped create a pretty cool music scene.

Back