Dragon Pickups

RichThewlis777

Hello PRS World: Can anyone tell me if Dragon pickups from the 1990's are seen as that desirable, etc. I am trying to get info on them. Thanks much.

One of my favorite guitars is a CE22 with Dragon 1's.

Dragon 1's are the jam. Seriously!!!! I have a pair in my CE24 and they are fantastic and in a league of their own compared to other PRS pickups. One word....PUNCH!:adore:

Played PRS since 1991.

But like the more recent pickups a lot more. To each his/her own.

There's always spirited debate on stuff like pickups...

I LOVE dragon 1s, I have them in a ce22 that just rocks. I also have a set of drag 1s just waiting for the next "project". If you are patient you could find a set on ebay or VR 200-250.

This ce22 I have is about how it feels when I play it as much as how it sounds.

Last edited:
My two mains are 1996 Custom 22s bone stock with Dragon 1s. I'd murder over them and am always on the hunt for another when the funding is available.

Here is a great demo for the Dragon 1's vs the Dragon 2's https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKDSwMobENY

Personally after watching it I can't tell if I love the Dragon 1's or just hate the Dragon 2's

How can two pickups with the same name sake sound so different? Did PRS get drunk and lose the recipe? :-/

That guy is playing with a lot of overdrive and a heavy style at the beginning, and thats where the Dragon 1s are better. But the cleans and articulation are far better with the Dragon 2s, which I like MUCH more. Its all a matter of what style and kind of music you play. For blues, jazz, and classic rock, the Dragon 2s are much more vintage sounding, which is what I prefer. For heavy rock, punk and metal styles, I would agree most would prefer the Dragon 1s. In any case, the 57/08s lay them both to waste. :D ;)

Can anyone tell me if Dragon pickups from the 1990's are seen as that desirable, etc. I am trying to get info on them. Thanks much.
Hey, Rich. Welcome to the PRS Forum. I think your question has two parts to it. In short, Dragon I pickups are desirable. Basic economics dictates: The shorter the supply the greater the demand. So, "collectible" or "desirable" does not necessarily equate to "good". However, in this case...it does because Dragon I pickups sound fantastic. They do lend themselves well to heavier music but they're just good sounding pickups...period. The Dragon I Treble (like the Santana treble, HFS, Tremonti treble, etc) have a ceramic magnet in them. That has a different, more modern, sound/attack than an alnico magnet. Some people prefer that (I do) and some don't. As with anything...the person playing, pickup height, amp, pedals, personal preference, playing style, and many other variables make a difference. Try the Dragon Is for yourself and let us know what you think. They rip! :rock:

I only have one guitar with Dragon 1's, a 1996 Custom 22, and it is a beast! Great for high gain applications. For hard rock and metal, you'd be hard pressed to find better IMHO.

They also clean up well for such a high output pickup, particularly the bridge pup. The neck D1 is nice and round with a very fat thump when played clean or with lower gain. I LOVE them, some don't but that is just the nature of the beast I reckon.

Give them a try, worse case scenario, you can sell them fairly easily for a pretty penny... \m/

The Dragon 1's are probably the best pickups I've ever used and I've tried just about everything.
I'm not really a low output pup kind of guy (I do like the Gibby 57 Classics though) and find that if I need low output I can just turn the guitar down to 8 or 9. I like having that extra oomph on tap.
I play mostly Classic and Progressive Rock stuff and Dragons cover every sound I need and always sound beautiful. They split very well also.

Am just pulling the trigger on my 6th PRS(I have a 87 Standard, a 94 CE,a 2002 CU 24, a 2008 12 String Custom and a BEAUTIFUL First Edition SSky which is my main work guitar(am a studio player). The one which I am in the process of acquiring is a 97 CU 22 Trem with Dragon 1 PUs

I know this thread is about the original Dragon "I" pickups, BUT...

If you're looking for reference on the Dragon II's (which don't seem to be well-loved), it's been stated that they are covered #6's--which would've been found stock in early Singlecut Trem models. Yes, covers on vs. off can have an audible difference, but... I'm just saying, if you like your SC Trem with #6's but don't like the Dragon II's, then ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Back