Dragon II Coil Tap

kmburkhart

Hey guys,

I just installed Dragon II's into my 2013 SE Custom 24. They sound great - just like I remember them in my old 2000 CE22 (5 way rotary, never had a straight coil tapped bridge pickup). The coil tapped neck pickup sounds very good, but the bridge pickup when coil tapped is about half the volume of the full humbucker. The neck pickup has a bit of a volume drop (which is expected). The stock pickups had an even volume drop across both.

Basically, I just want to see what you all think about a split Dragon II in the bridge position and how it should sound.

Last edited:
I actually just wired it the same way as the stock pickups. I guess that could have been wrong, but all of the tones sound right besides the bridge coil tap. I verified the installation by tapping on the pickups with a screwdriver to make sure that signal was going through the correct pickup corresponding to the switch.

The latest SE Custom 24 uses a blade switch rather than a toggle I believe. Have you considered using the Schaller 5-way megaswitch 'P'? This is supposed to give the same switch options as the rotary. I'm planning on putting one with a set of Dragon IIs but just need to confirm the hot, tap and ground wires for both pickups.

I'm having a Dragon II put in the bridge of my 2008 SE CU24 and 59/09 in the neck, and to finish it off some Phase II locking tuners! Can't wait to get it back from the shop :) I bet your Dragons sound awesome. Is the split coil hugely different in tone to a HFS and vintage bass split combo? I love it on my SE Navarro.

I also replaced stock pickups of my SE Custom 24 for Dragon II. During soldering I just followed stock wiring. The guitar plays great. Split coil works. However I noticed that bridge pickup is more silent than the neck one, not much but noticeable. Is it like supposed to be? . After digging in an internet I realized i could be mistaken with wiring . Would anyone help with this.

The prs site has very helpful wire diagrams for every guitar they have produced. When customizing you may need to pick the closest schematic that fits what you're doing. I've used this info several times.

Back