Does PRS use treble bypass caps?

Treble bleed caps are an easy mod to install, generally speaking. The Hollowbody II would be an exception due to having to remove the electronics to work on them. But if you're up for the challenge, a 180 pF cap is all you need.

I think the 594 model also doesn't use them. I wasn't aware of the hollow bodies, but I think they're on all of the other solid bodies

Thanks! I’m having pots replaced on a HB2, was thinking about treble bleed. It’s such a pain to work on them it’s sort of a one time opportunity.

I’m not surprised they don’t have them on the HB or 4-knob as those are angled at more vintage tone.

I’m not surprised they don’t have them on the HB or 4-knob as those are angled at more vintage tone.

That's a pet peeve of mine, actually. When they run the tone pot to the input of the volume with no treble bleed, that's actually "modern" wiring. It's the only missed opportunity on the 594 and Hollowbody series, IMO. This is the one that dampens treble when you roll back the volume. Adding a treble bleed lets you customize how much treble does or doesn't pass when you roll back the volume.

The "vintage" wiring goes to the output of the volume pot with no treble bleed. This one keeps the treble when you roll back the volume, but the tone pot can reduce output a little bit when rolled back.

If you don't like the treble loss when rolling back the volume, adding the treble bleed to your Hollowbody will be well worth it. I'd keep with a low value cap, 180pf to 330pf, max.

I converted my 594 to "vintage" wiring and it makes the guitar so much better to me.

I'm personally not a fan of the 'treble bleed'. Seems to add a thinness to the sound to me even when the volume pot is on full.
I guess it comes down to setups and use cases as to whether it works for each individual. I like the slight warming of the tone when the volume is reduced.
One curious by-product of the treble bleed is that it alters the taper of the volume pot. Because some treble content is being bypasses straight to output, the volume doesn't reduce as quickly when turning down and it makes all the volume work in a smaller area of the pot's sweep.

I’m a fan of treble bleed. And if you find it harsh, a single snip will remove it.

To each his own.
It's probably because I only play in my bedroom with short cables. And a quick dab with s soldering iron to remove one leg and problem solved. You know I don't know why they don't put the treble bleed on a switch, so you can switch it in and out as you need. I did think about mounting one on the back plate but in the end I couldn't be bothered, but it would be a good solution

Vai has a pull pot for volume that adds the treble bleed.

I’m not a fan of adding more switches to guitars. I prefer simple and I’ll just choose what I like better and stick with it. Could add a switch inside the cavity I suppose.

I’m not a fan of adding more switches to guitars. I prefer simple and I’ll just choose what I like better and stick with it. Could add a switch inside the cavity I suppose.
Yeah simple is why I couldn't be bothered to do it. In the past I've wired Strats up with fancy switching options; series, parallel etc. But I ended up taking them all back to stock as it just got too complicated.

Treble bleeds can be tricky. If the values are too high, they certainly will impact the taper and make the guitar very bright when turning it down. And it's not one-size-fits-all. The right values depend on the pickups and the volume pot and what you want to accomplish.

I like the overall tone tone of the guitar to stay consistent throughout the taper because I work the volume a lot. If the tone gets too dark or too bright, it messes with how the guitar fits into a band mix. I like to rely on the tone control for that.

Some players like the way the tone darkens a little without the treble bleed. That way, when you crank the volume you get a nice little treble boost that helps you cut through.

To each his own, indeed. There are so many approaches to building a personal sound.

@Tosca don’t read this!;)

Back