Do You Keep a Music Log/Journal?

DoJoe

SoCal Twanger
Recently I've started (actually, restarted) keeping a Music Journal. I write details of my music endeavors. Things like:
- Guitar Playing (GP): duration, practice notes, song practice, guitar used, issues and general thoughts
- Music Composition: (MC) what song I'm working on and details for song arrangement ideas, etc.
- Listening to Music: (LTM) which band and album/CD
- Other Instrument Playing: (OIP) Piano Playing: what I practiced, how long, etc.
- JAM: playing with other musicians: band practice, gigs, meeting up with a buddy/some one new; solo gig/coffee house, etc
- Music Reading and Study: Study of music books: Blues, Jazz, Classical, Reading and time study, etc.

I find that the journal is helpful to keep track of my goals and to help identify my "bad habits" or things that I need to avoid doing. Also, going back through the pages helps me remember certain details that I likely would not have remembered without my notes.

Does anyone else keep a Music Journal?

Yes I do too! I write everything down. My thoughts, my mistakes, corrective measures, future projects etc I like doing this because I looked at my beginning journal notes almost 12 years ago. Everything indicates I am on the right path. Things keep progressing. It reminds me not to be so critical of myself. I just need to remind myself that my goals while challenging are doable. It’s just a matter of practice. Time has proved to me that over and over again.

yep, I've thousands of short recordings. Sadly, I only have a few songs that I've managed to properly record. Recording full and proper songs is one of the key goals I gave myself this year. Wish me luck. :)

The one thing I know would be really beneficial, but I’m too scared to do it, ignorance is bliss and all that… record my practice session!
Just do it. I started recording myself before the finger incident. Over the 3 nights that I wanted to perfect the song I could hear some flaws. On this particular song I would’ve never known it if not for listening to my recording. Got it worked out to perfection. Recording yourself is a must.

Just do it. I started recording myself before the finger incident. Over the 3 nights that I wanted to perfect the song I could hear some flaws. On this particular song I would’ve never known it if not for listening to my recording. Got it worked out to perfection. Recording yourself is a must.
The song we talked about?

Yes. It works perfectly when you dissect it. Working on the upper part to the point where I had to stop myself.I got that aha moment and it was a real eye opening experience. This was just incredible. It was really hard for me to contain my excitement. I almost needed to go for a walk. The adrenaline!! It was euphoric. I don’t get a lot of those moments but when I do, HOLY SHITE!

This is exactly what keeps me coming back to playing. And now because of this I really do know that the sky is the limit(there is a cap on your finger mobility as we age) and I need no longer to be afraid to trip through the universe on an even more fantastic journey.

Knowledge just blows my mind. I wish I had another lifetime to just play!!

Yes. It works perfectly when you dissect it. Working on the upper part to the point where I had to stop myself.I got that aha moment and it was a real eye opening experience. This was just incredible. It was really hard for me to contain my excitement. I almost needed to go for a walk. The adrenaline!! It was euphoric. I don’t get a lot of those moments but when I do, HOLY SHITE!

This is exactly what keeps me coming back to playing. And now because of this I really do know that the sky is the limit(there is a cap on your finger mobility as we age) and I need no longer to be afraid to trip through the universe on an even more fantastic journey.

Knowledge just blows my mind. I wish I had another lifetime to just play!!
Can say that when you write your thoughts down, you can reflect on them better. Think about this, as we age we're all concerned about how we can improve at whatever we try to do. If certain habits are holding you back, know what to do to help mitigate that. Why? Nothing speaks louder than a young woman on the fast track to old age. Appreciate the quieter peaceful moments you have, and don't feel badly if the long term goals don't happen immediately. The short term goals may be your route to success. Just keep cultivating the good habits, and ditch the bad ones.

Here's my self-imposed rule:

Start. The. Damn. Project.

Period.

Don't talk about it, don't write about it, don't wait for inspiration. Start playing, start writing, start recording, and see what develops. If it's good, finish it. If it isn't good, toss it and start over the next day.

This is not a prescription for anyone else. It's just for me.

The time I'd waste planning would interfere with the time I'd spend doing. I get a whole lot of music written and recorded following my own rule.

Also, I never practice. I warm up my hands a little and then hit 'record'. If I don't like the take, I do another take until it's right.

Like I said, I record my songs on my iPhone. Sometimes I do go back and complete them.

Sometimes I can't figure out how the heck I played them because I write a lot on the acoustic guitar in alternate tunings or using a capo and then forget how I got that sound.

Still, it's an easy way to record an idea and have a record of it so you don't lose it.

Last edited:
Recording, and then listening (the most difficult part) is my method. After 32 years I find myself enjoying the good parts and not the mistakes as much. I also learned making a mistake and repeating it makes it sound much less like a mistake.
Am reminded of ABB's "Mountain Jam" when Duane hits a sour note and works his way through it. When playing live and recording, sometimes only one take is what you can make do with.

If you're just fueling a fire that creates a lot of smoke, hope you can find a way thru that smoke...Me? As I've aged I realize you can't avoid errors and worse, they bare your imperfections. Essentially, another wrinkle I need to cover.

Not learning from your mistakes is how we are doomed to repeat them. The very nature of our human existence centers on errors, correcting, reviewing and re-doing.

Much like someone who writes a report but needs to correct any misinformation in it before he submits it to his boss for approval. When the boss is happy, so then am I.

Last edited:
Here's my self-imposed rule:

Start. The. Damn. Project.

Period.

Don't talk about it, don't write about it, don't wait for inspiration. Start playing, start writing, start recording, and see what develops. If it's good, finish it. If it isn't good, toss it and start over the next day.

This is not a prescription for anyone else. It's just for me.

The time I'd waste planning would interfere with the time I'd spend doing. I get a whole lot of music written and recorded following my own rule.

Also, I never practice. I warm up my hands a little and then hit 'record'. If I don't like the take, I do another take until it's right.
In a nutshell, that is the secret to my success.

Back