Dilemma

Grimr

Greetings and Salutations! I am a new member here but have loved PRS guitars for quite some time. I own a couple of SE's and a stripped 58. However since I started playing in the late 80's I've always wanted a Custom 24. Well that day has finally arrived but now I'm starting to get overwhelmed with options. The main issue is that there really isn't anywhere local for me to try them out before I buy so unfortunately I'm going to have to get one from an Internet vendor.

So, my dilemma is do I go with the 30th Anniversary Custom 24 or a standard Custom 24 maybe with a 10 top. I've never heard either the 85/15 pickups or the 59/09's. I am only familiar with the 57/08's that are on my stripped 58 and I really love those pickups. Is there anyone here who maybe has both and can comment or anyone who at least have checked both out? I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOiDwXo-SuM here is a 30th. Basically the extra money is buying you private stock pickups since this is the only standard model that will have them. There are several videos on youtube with the 59/09. I just bought mine over the weekend(just shipped today). I bought a 2014 model and figured the lower cost I could buy whatever boutique pickups I wanted if the 59/09's ultimately did not suite me, or you could go to a 10 top as you said. The inlay on the fingerboard and headstock of the 30th is pretty darn sexy though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOiDwXo-SuM here is a 30th. Basically the extra money is buying you private stock pickups since this is the only standard model that will have them. There are several videos on youtube with the 59/09. I just bought mine over the weekend(just shipped today). I bought a 2014 model and figured the lower cost I could buy whatever boutique pickups I wanted if the 59/09's ultimately did not suite me, or you could go to a 10 top as you said. The inlay on the fingerboard and headstock of the 30th is pretty darn sexy though.

Yeah sexy is right. I'm looking at a Black Gold burst right now that just really sings to me. *sigh* First world problems. Does anyone know if the 30th Anniversary models are non weight relieved? Looking at their site I'm not finding any info in regards to that.

Last edited:
You are EXACTLY where I was at last week on Monday...

Go with the 85/15's......trust me. If you like the 57/08's you'll LOVE the 85/15's. The 30th anni birds, 10-top and the rest is visual preference. I personally love the look of the 30th birds.

I agree with Raven completely. And besides, the non artist versions aren't any more expensive than a regular CU24.

Ok, I took the plunge. Ordered the 30th Anniversary in Black Gold wrap. Will post pics as soon as it gets here. Let the pacing begin. lol.

If you already have the 57/08, go for the 85/15 30th Anniversary. Whichever one you don't buy first, you'll buy later anyway. Just sayin.

Go with the 85/15's......trust me. If you like the 57/08's you'll LOVE the 85/15's. The 30th anni birds, 10-top and the rest is visual preference. I personally love the look of the 30th birds.

Could you explain this? Or maybe you shouldn't.......................let me go hide my wallet then explain it.

Could you explain this? Or maybe you shouldn't.......................let me go hide my wallet then explain it.

I struggle to find the words to covey what I hear, I just know what I like. To me the treble is the result of blending a 57/08 with a Tremonti and the bass is 57/08 and Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates. It's by far and away my favorite PRS pup. The only other comparable pup I can think of is a Bare Knuckle Cold Sweat.

A break in the weather has allowed me to finally have my 30th shipped with its 85/15s. My dealer made a demo for me of how the pickups sound, and they're terrific. Unfortunately, I didn't save the demo after buying the guitar.

But you guys know me, I'm good for a demo of some kind once I get things all dialed in with it.

I struggle to find the words to covey what I hear, I just know what I like. To me the treble is the result of blending a 57/08 with a Tremonti and the bass is 57/08 and Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates. It's by far and away my favorite PRS pup. The only other comparable pup I can think of is a Bare Knuckle Cold Sweat.

I really like the 5708s but I don't know much about the other pickups you mentioned. I am curious though but I'll wait for Les to post an audio clip.

Back