DGT: I Have Been Assimilated.

I go through streaks sometimes, too.

But I wasn't this streaky with my WL 594s, WL McCartys, or Special Semi-Hollow Artist. They were winners, though I didn't keep them. Truth is, it's hard for a guitar to compare to my PS models favorably, and except for the Special, the McCartys and 594s were too similar to the tones I already had with the McCarty SC.

This one's getting much, much more play time than the other WLs did, probably because it's SO different. I'm really surprised. I figured the DGT would be a niche thing. I was wrong. It's a real bread-and-butter guitar.

As Grissom said in a video demo, "It just works." Maybe that's enough? Because I have no other idea why.

Re: collections...I'm not much of a collector. I only have four electric guitars. They're good ones, but if that's a collection it's an awfully insignificant one.

Yet I feel satisfied.
I just LOVE guitars. I have guitars from a number of well known manufacturers. I have some duplication in the collection but I like the small differences between the guitars that are a bit of a duplicate. I have solid body, semi-hollow body and hollow body guitars. I like them all for the things they bring to the table that are different. I have more PRS guitars than any other brand. I just find them very sexy looking and above the rest in playability and tone. I do have some others that I consider right up there with them but really love my PRS guitars.

My collection is in the low to mid 30 range. A little over 1/3 of them are PRS guitars. I don't own any CE, S2 or SE models. I don't have a PS but have always wanted one. I just couldn't see spending the money to have something custom built that would essentially be a duplicate of a PRS I already have. I do have one idea for a PS that would be cool for me but the cost now is high enough that I struggle with it. If I had a PS built years ago, I would more than likely ended up with something that was a duplicate of a core I already had and I am not sure that is a recipe to love the new PS. The one I would build now would be very different than any I have now.

Re: collections...I'm not much of a collector. I only have four electric guitars. They're good ones, but if that's a collection it's an awfully insignificant one.

Yet I feel satisfied.
Good chance I'll get to this in the next 8-15 years. The right four can cover pretty much everything.

This thread had me give my DGT a good run through this week. While I really like the feel of the guitar, mine isn't likely to be among the last four. It will likely be gone in the next few years.

I don't have a PS but have always wanted one. I just couldn't see spending the money to have something custom built that would essentially be a duplicate of a PRS I already have.
They turn out surprisingly different, even if you have one or two of the same model in Core versions. The feel and tone are a cut above. That's what makes them worth the investment,

If it was merely about looks, I'd consider PS a waste of money and would never have bought one in a million years.

The goal here is that each guitar in my studio has to sound different enough from the others in context of a recording that it makes musical sense to own it. Subtle detail differences almost never show up in recordings, no matter how much we wish they did.

It's taken me a long time to find a handful of sonically distinctive guitars I like enough to keep around.

My guitars have to pay their way in session work. I really don't need very many for that to happen, which is good, because I hate guitar maintenance!! The fewer I have, the less maintenance I need to do, the less room they take up, etc. ;)

I'm here enough that I probably seem guitar-obsessed, but truth is, I'm music-obsessed, and that's the priority.

Last edited:
Each Guitar Is Unique In My Experience. I Have Owned PS Guitars That Couldn't Touch My Other PRS Guitars In Sound/Resonance/Etc. I Have Some PS Guitars That Are Nothing Less Than Incredible As Well. I Just Like Great Guitars That Work For Me And If It Happens To Be A PS Or A Core I Am Fine With That.

Each Guitar Is Unique In My Experience.

Can't argue with that!

I Have Owned PS Guitars That Couldn't Touch My Other PRS Guitars In Sound/Resonance/Etc. I Have Some PS Guitars That Are Nothing Less Than Incredible As Well. I Just Like Great Guitars That Work For Me And If It Happens To Be A PS Or A Core I Am Fine With That.

My PS electrics were bought from dealer stock limited model runs, not special-ordered. If they hadn't sounded and felt different than Cores, I wouldn't have bought any of them. I'd have stuck with Core models. Fortunately, I got to play them before committing.

Core PRS are great. So for the additional money, PS models have to be in that 'nothing less than incredible' category you mentioned.

Not that I don't love beauty, I certainly do. I just won't shop for beauty alone. It'd be like marrying a gorgeous fashion model who hasn't got much of a personality.

"You would totally, 100%, marry a gorgeous fashion model even if she had a terrible personality."

"I'm not that shallow, am I? Well, OK -- but I couldn't stay married to a a gorgeous fashion model with a terrible personality for very long!"

"How long is 'not for very long'?"

"I dunno. 10-15 years? Maybe 20, max?" ;)

Last edited:
In 8-15 years I'll be in an urn, so it's a good thing I got down to four while I still can!

Gotta strike while the iron is hot! :)
This kind of thought is what has had me going through cycles of feeling like I need to seriously downsize. None of the people that are going to be left with my gear know anything about it or what it is worth. If I had family members that were into it, I would have already given some very nice items to them. I keep feeling like I don't want to leave that burden to them as well as the fear they will sell something expensive for pennies on the dollar and not know that they just got taken.

This kind of thought is what has had me going through cycles of feeling like I need to seriously downsize. None of the people that are going to be left with my gear know anything about it or what it is worth. If I had family members that were into it, I would have already given some very nice items to them. I keep feeling like I don't want to leave that burden to them as well as the fear they will sell something expensive for pennies on the dollar and not know that they just got taken.
Heyyyy Brother! ;)

Fortunately - thank you O Goddess of Musical Good Fortune (!) - my son is a terrific guitar player who makes records and tours.

Whether he'd use my gear or not down the road (even though he's been all about Fenders, he likes my guitars and amps), he'll know what to do with it.

I want my daughters to have the gear they want, too. None of them are selfish, so I figure they'll get it all sorted out when the time comes.

Rutgers is 3-0 this year, right? Michigan looked terrible on offense last weekend. 3 picks against a middling MAC team? For a QB who was what, 49 of 55, no picks, playing in pretty much only the first half of games the previous two weeks, this performance was execrable. If it continues, Michigan isn't going anywhere this year.

The defense bailed Michigan out big time.

If M was playing Rutgers last week, I think M could easily have lost. You never know with this football stuff.

I don't trust preseason or early season polls. I remember under Rich Rod Michigan won the "September Championship" every year and then stunk.

Please don’t remind me of the Rich Rod era!

Back