DGT: I Have Been Assimilated.

László

Too Many Notes
I know, I know.

You DGT mavens have been saying the DGT is the greatest PRS for years. Go ahead, say it, you've earned the right:

You told me so!

Truth is, I don't know if a guitar's for me until I live with it for a while. At 5 weeks into living with this DGT, I have been assimilated.

Consider me a drone of the DGT Borg.

Resistance is futile!

I should play one.
They are darn scarce around these parts though...
It's unusual to see them here, too. Before buying mine I had only played a couple since they were introduced.

I missed my McCarty WL trem from a few years back, so when Jack got these in, I thought why not, it'll probably be a lot like my McCarty Trem, and fill that void.

Well, on a superficial level it is a lot like the McTrem, but the devil is in the details. lt's definitely its own thing and unique in the lineup. It carves out its own sonic space.

Here's what wows me the most:

Combining the pickups gives me infinite usable blend tones, way more than with any guitar I've ever owned, and that includes a LOT of 4 knob guitars from Gibson and PRS.

I'm on the blended settings a LOT. That's definitely not the case with me with other guitars having the ability to blend pickups. I've historically only used the blended pickups sporadically on my Gibsons and PRS models. I almost never used them on my Ricks.

Of course the unblended pickups sound great (to me), and even the splits are usable.

If I ever order another Private Stock, it'll be a DGT. Thing is, I don't have a clue as to what I'd do differently. The stock model is one helluva good formula.

I know, I know.

You DGT mavens have been saying the DGT is the greatest PRS for years. Go ahead, say it, you've earned the right:

You told me so!

Truth is, I don't know if a guitar's for me until I live with it for a while. At 5 weeks into living with this DGT, I have been assimilated.

Consider me a drone of the DGT Borg.

Resistance is futile!
Welcome...

Bs7i90I.jpeg

When I could finally afford mine (a little over a year ago), it was obviously one of, if not the, finest instruments I've ever played, out of the box. Probably one of the 2 best, the other being my '91 Charvel Jackson shredder (MIJ) back-in-the-day.

My only negative (and this is a personal thing), I do wish the neck profile was a TAD smaller. I can play it fine, but I'm just more at home on a Fender Modern C, that's just my thing. OH- and a satin finish on the back of the neck would be awesome; if I someday decide that I'm never selling it (believe it or not I have not made that decision yet... because in the end I want to DOWNsize, not have more stuff), I'll satin it.

I’m digging mine too. I first got the SE version, then a core, and then another core. They are all amazing - even the SE! I find myself playing a lot with the split coils on these guitars - especially with the neck and bridge pickup together. I agree with @László how you can get lots of tonal variations with small changes to the volume knobs between the pickups.

I have an 11 lb 76 Les Paul that I hardly play now since getting the DGTs. I can get close to that sound with the DGTs and am more inspired by them. My other electric is an 80s Japanese Stratocaster that I like a lot. I can get a similar vibe with the DGT.

I have one negative about the core DGT and it may be a temporary thing. I kind of wish the core models came with a synthetic nut like on the SE. The synthetic nut is supposed to be self lubricating. I’ve observed the bone nuts on the core guitars are more prone to strings binding up when you use the trem. I see less of that on the SE model with synthetic nut. When I put a lubricant (nut sauce) on the bone nuts the problem goes away. I wonder if this is a temporary thing. Maybe the bone nuts need to get “broken in”?

I feel that if you're only going to have one PRS, the DGT is the one to go with - it checks all the boxes and more because the pickups are so amazing.
I have an extra set of DGT pickups that I have been seriously considering putting in my SAS. It currently has a set of 57/08 pickups from a special run guitar in it right now. I pulled it out to put the resistors in it like the DGT uses and that had great results. I have been mulling over trying the DTGs in it.

OH- and a satin finish on the back of the neck would be awesome; if I someday decide that I'm never selling it (believe it or not I have not made that decision yet... because in the end I want to DOWNsize, not have more stuff), I'll satin it.
I've come around to this way of thinking very slowly, because I used to be very concerned about selling later on:

A guitar should serve you while it's yours, instead of being saved for the next owner.

I'm a gloss neck player, but if you prefer satin, you owe it to yourself to get the fullest enjoyment out of it.

I have one negative about the core DGT and it may be a temporary thing. I kind of wish the core models came with a synthetic nut like on the SE. The synthetic nut is supposed to be self lubricating.
It's not a change I'd want to make, but there's nothing wrong with making yourself happy. If a synthetic nut suits you better, they sell the core ones at the PRS accessory shop. The sound will be subtly different - but if you're cool with that, go for it!

There's no right or wrong to this stuff!

If you don't like the sonic change, the worst thing that happens is you're out a few bucks, you go back to the bone nut, and you chalk it up to Smith and Grissom's experience in making tone decisions vs yours. If you don't notice a difference, or if you do and like it better, you're a winner!

Your assimilation will ripple the universe. So if UM manages to get beat by hapless Rutgers this week, you need only to look in the mirror when assigning blame. Glad you’re loving your new well tested guitar.
Rutgers is 3-0 this year, right? Michigan looked terrible on offense last weekend. 3 picks against a middling MAC team? For a QB who was what, 49 of 55, no picks, playing in pretty much only the first half of games the previous two weeks, this performance was execrable. If it continues, Michigan isn't going anywhere this year.

The defense bailed Michigan out big time.

If M was playing Rutgers last week, I think M could easily have lost. You never know with this football stuff.

I don't trust preseason or early season polls. I remember under Rich Rod Michigan won the "September Championship" every year and then stunk.

Last edited:
Rutgers is 3-0 this year, right? Michigan looked terrible on offense last weekend. 3 picks against a middling MAC team? For a QB who was what, 49 of 55, no picks, playing in pretty much only the first half of games the previous two weeks, this performance was execrable. If it continues, Michigan isn't going anywhere this year.

The defense bailed Michigan out big time.

If M was playing Rutgers last week, I think M could easily have lost. You never know with this football stuff.

I don't trust preseason or early season polls. I remember under Rich Rod Michigan won the "September Championship" every year and then stunk.
Also why they don't give out the Heisman in September!

Back