DGT and Paul's guitar's neck difference

Sheena_Ringo

Hi, I have a Paul's guitar which I really love and also I am very interested in DGT now. Since there is no DGT I can I can try out in my city, so if there is anyone who have tried these two guitars before, can you tell me their neck difference? Does Paul's guitar have fatter and chunkier neck than the DGT? Or the other way around? I assume the DGT is also C shape neck, right?

Thanks!

I have both. I'll check it out tonight when I get home form work. It'll be based on feel as I don't have measuring calipers.

Hi, I have a Paul's guitar which I really love and also I am very interested in DGT now. Since there is no DGT I can I can try out in my city, so if there is anyone who have tried these two guitars before, can you tell me their neck difference? Does Paul's guitar have fatter and chunkier neck than the DGT? Or the other way around? I assume the DGT is also C shape neck, right?

Thanks!

I have had both. To me, the Paul's is the fatter and chunkier neck. The DGT has been called a combination of Pattern and Pattern Regular. Starts as one, and progresses to the other. The DGT is a narrower fret board though. I can't remember if it's 1/32 or 1/16 narrower than the other PRS necks.

I have had both. To me, the Paul's is the fatter and chunkier neck. The DGT has been called a combination of Pattern and Pattern Regular. Starts as one, and progresses to the other. The DGT is a narrower fret board though. I can't remember if it's 1/32 or 1/16 narrower than the other PRS necks.

After playing both, I concur with Bodia. I prefer the feel of the PG neck. The string spacing on the DGT takes me a couple minutes to get used to. They feel closer together.

How do the two carve shapes compare to each other, or a circumference measurement?

If you've ever tried a Squier Strat neck vs an MIM/MIA neck you'll see how the Squier starts carving from the leading edge of the fretboard and then cuts back at an acute angle to practically the same width and depth (within 1mm or less difference) while the MIM/MIA carving starts behind the fretboard glue line. This results in dramatically different neck circumference and thus feel of playing.

Is the fretboard edges of the DGT flat or angled carve? Carve difference between the fretboard glue lines and the back surface?

Looks like I have to try the DGT first, because I prefer bigger and fatter neck like the 50's neck. Btw I feel very comfortable with Paul's Guitar also. Thanks for your reply :)

After playing both, I concur with Bodia. I prefer the feel of the PG neck. The string spacing on the DGT takes me a couple minutes to get used to. They feel closer together.
Got it, thank you! I have watched some Youtube videos and I really love DGT's single coil sound, to me it sounds better than Paul's Guitar's single coil tone.

Got it, thank you! I have watched some Youtube videos and I really love DGT's single coil sound, to me it sounds better than Paul's Guitar's single coil tone.

Yeah, to me the DGT single coil sound is a bit brighter and drives easier....I would almost call it a hot tele sound on the bridge. The Paul's single sound is very much more in the P90 range to me - darker and smoother. I am glad I have both since they are not redundant in their sounds.

Yeah, to me the DGT single coil sound is a bit brighter and drives easier....I would almost call it a hot tele sound on the bridge. The Paul's single sound is very much more in the P90 range to me - darker and smoother. I am glad I have both since they are not redundant in their sounds.
Oh yeah, I agree, the Paul's Guitar's single coil sound is more like the P90, to me I think the DGT is more versatile, it also has the tremolo bar which I really like.

Oh yeah, I agree, the Paul's Guitar's single coil sound is more like the P90, to me I think the DGT is more versatile, it also has the tremolo bar which I really like.

AHHHH, you have a fixed bridge Paul's!!! Mine is a trem. It was a tough decision, but I like the tone of the trem better with the 408N pickups.

AHHHH, you have a fixed bridge Paul's!!! Mine is a trem. It was a tough decision, but I like the tone of the trem better with the 408N pickups.
Oh man, I wish my Paul's Guitar has a tremolo bar, tremolo bar is very useful to me, so which one you like better? Paul's Guitar or DGT?

Oh man, I wish my Paul's Guitar has a tremolo bar, tremolo bar is very useful to me, so which one you like better? Paul's Guitar or DGT?

Live, so far I prefer the Paul's. I keep the neck as a SC, and with the gain that I use it SCREAMS. I haven't taken the DGT out too often for fear of messing it up, lol.

In the studio, doing sessions, both have their place - one doesn't seem better. They are just different enough to offer me different tones based on need.

Live, so far I prefer the Paul's. I keep the neck as a SC, and with the gain that I use it SCREAMS. I haven't taken the DGT out too often for fear of messing it up, lol.

In the studio, doing sessions, both have their place - one doesn't seem better. They are just different enough to offer me different tones based on need.
I see, I don't wanna bring my Paul's Guitar out either, lol.....PRS guitars are too pretty, I don't want any scratch or dings on it, lol...

I see, I don't wanna bring my Paul's Guitar out either, lol.....PRS guitars are too pretty, I don't want any scratch or dings on it, lol...

Knock on wood I have never had any issues. I tend to bump them more when I am in an unfamiliar studio than when I am on stage. I do original music, so the sets are shorter (30-90 minutes). My wife is my guitar roadie (unless we're travelling), so as soon as the set is done, she's backstage loading the guitar into the case and making sure it is safe. These days I only take one guitar with me. Haven't broken a string in 20 years, so if I do, shows over, lol...

Knock on wood I have never had any issues. I tend to bump them more when I am in an unfamiliar studio than when I am on stage. I do original music, so the sets are shorter (30-90 minutes). My wife is my guitar roadie (unless we're travelling), so as soon as the set is done, she's backstage loading the guitar into the case and making sure it is safe. These days I only take one guitar with me. Haven't broken a string in 20 years, so if I do, shows over, lol...
Your wife is very sweet!!! Mostly I will use Paul's Guitar to record at home or studio, for gigs, it really depends on what kind of the gig, lol...

Let's see a pic!!!!! You have me all intrigued to see your Paul's. It is really one of my favorite models - I was so excited to get it, and have found the overall experience of playing it to be incredible!!

My Paul's Guitar:

My DGT. This guitar is a sweet one - Artist Package, Quilt Top, Custom Color, Brazilian fretboard. It plays killer and looks even better, lol!!

Doooood... both of those are absolutely stunning..:eek::cool:

Wait, don't you have a SC-58 or SC-245 as well? If so, you officially have the next three on my "Top 5 must have guitars before I check out list". Yeah its kinda like a bucket list...only way cooler! For the time being I'm just gonna play vicariously thru you...if that's cool of course..o_O;)

Last edited:
Doooood... both of those are absolutely stunning..:eek::cool:

Wait, don't you have a SC-58 or SC-245 as well? If so, you officially have the next three on my "Top 5 must have guitars before I check out list". Yeah its kinda like a bucket list...only way cooler! For the time being I'm just gonna play vicariously thru you...if that's cool of course..o_O;)

Yes, lol. I have one of the SC245 57/08 LTDs that was out in 07-08 (never remember - but it's the limited edition). it is my total workhorse. I have done more gigs on that guitar than any other PRS. It has a few tiny bumps and bruises - someday I'll send it to the PTC for a refresh, but for now....

It is probably the BEST sounding guitar I have ever owned in my life. If I had kids it would be the heirloom piece. Oh, play vicariously through e all you want, lol!!!

Back