Deep Purple/Yes Tour 2024

Saw Deep Purple twice and Yes 4 times back in the 70's. Great shows!

First time I saw DP was before "Machine Head" was released. For their final encore they said "here's one that's going to be on our new LP."
They played "Space Truckin!" Place went nuts.

The big surprise with Yes was the final encore of their Relayer tour when they played "I'm Down" by the Beatles. Wasn't expecting that!

Hot button pushed...

This will no doubt be excellent.

but...

Deep purple - one original member on this tour.
Yes - one original member on this tour.

Edit: Steve Howe is not an original member of Yes.
There are no original members of the band in the current version.
(Peter Banks was the guitarist on the first Yes album.)

I have no doubt that every one of the people on this tour
is an absolute beast of a player and well worth seeing,
but these are not the bands they claim to be.

Last edited:
I have my ticket already and got alarmed by the ‘one member only’ post. Took a look and found this:

Deep Purple: it is basically Mark II without JL and RB:

The current lineup, dubbed "Mark IX", features Paice, Gillan, Glover, guitarist Simon McBride and keyboardist Don Airey.

Yes: SH, plus worthy successors

Steve Howe, whose association with YES began in 1970, along with Geoff Downes, a member of the 1980 'Drama' era line-up are joined by Jon Davison, lead vocalist in Yes for well over a decade now; Billy Sherwood on bass, hand-picked by original bassist Chris Squire and Jay Schellen, who worked closely with Alan White

I’m good with these, will enjoy the show!!!

I have my ticket already and got alarmed by the ‘one member only’ post. Took a look and found this:

Deep Purple: it is basically Mark II without JL and RB:

The current lineup, dubbed "Mark IX", features Paice, Gillan, Glover, guitarist Simon McBride and keyboardist Don Airey.

Yes: SH, plus worthy successors

Steve Howe, whose association with YES began in 1970, along with Geoff Downes, a member of the 1980 'Drama' era line-up are joined by Jon Davison, lead vocalist in Yes for well over a decade now; Billy Sherwood on bass, hand-picked by original bassist Chris Squire and Jay Schellen, who worked closely with Alan White

I’m good with these, will enjoy the show!!!

Once again.
I have no doubt that the current incarnations of these 2 bands are excellent and well worth the price of the ticket.
In fact, I think there is a good chance these bands are better than the bands they have named themselves after.
Mr. Howe and Mr. Paice in all likelihood own the trademarks and are well within their legal rights to use them.

If this tour came anywhere near where I currently live, I would buy a ticket because DP and Yes were 2 of my favorite bands.
I would love to see their music played with the respect and skill it deserves. These shows are going to be very good indeed.

That being said...

Deep Purple:
One original member, Ian Paice.

Deep Purple are a British hard rock band originally from Hertford. Formed in March 1968, the group originally included vocalist Rod Evans, guitarist Ritchie Blackmore, bassist Nick Simper, keyboardist Jon Lord and drummer Ian Paice.

Yes:
I stand corrected.
"Yes" has Zero original members in its current lineup.

Yes are an English progressive rock band founded in 1968 by lead singer Jon Anderson, bassist Chris Squire, guitarist Peter Banks, keyboardist Tony Kaye, and drummer Bill Bruford.

Last edited:
Back