Deciding between a Studio and a CE 22 or 24

Pickslide33

Never had either of these guitars before, but want to try out another PRS. Im looking for something versatile, that can do both humbucker and strat tones well.

Just looking for feedback and opinions. I cant try these out before I buy so nice to hear some thoughts.

Looking at a 2011 Studio or a more current CE 22/24

If you want strat tones then surely you’ve got to be looking at the CE? Maple bolt-on neck and all...

There’s a guy on YouTube (something Baker, Robert Baker? Sorry if I find it I’ll post a link) anyway he has a really good channel! For a few years he’s said that his red CE24 is probably the most versatile guitar he’s got.

IIRC he hasn’t directly compared it to a Studio, though.

Personally, if I wanted strat tones I’d just buy a strat. Just saying!

When shopping for my PRS (custom 24), I listened to demo videos from youtube and they all sounded amazing. I went to stores and tried a lot of versions (the SE, S2, CE). When I played them through amp settings I was likely to use, my sound was very different (and quickly learned that SE pickups weren't for me - too heavy). Like you, I wanted something that could produce a range of sounds so I could replace my strat-like guitar with something much better.

So I'd recommend playing one if you can find one somewhere - your style makes the guitar sound different from anyone else. From the videos I've watched of the Studio (including Brian Ewald's wonderful demo for PRS), it clearly offers more tonal options because of the 3rd pickup and the way those 2 narrowfields produce a single-coil feel (and their position under the strings). If they made a Studio with 24 frets, I'd probably trade my custom 24 for one precisely because I find it difficult to get a really good strat-like tone on the custom 24 (though the single-coil switch position of 2 is pretty close when volume isn't above 7). But I'd need to play one myself before making that decision.

The Studio looks like it only comes in 22 frets, so something to consider - if you want 24 frets, your decision is made!

BTW, the 509 also has a lot of single-coil options (while also providing the standard humbucker settings at bridge and neck), so might be worth a look.

Studio is going to give you far more range.
CE are nice guitars, but strat like isn’t their space.
I agree. CE's sit in a distinct space half way between a Strat and a LP. Slightly less attack then a Strat while giving a little bit of quack with a more rounded fuller bottom end.

I have a CE24 that still blows me away every time I play it. Especially live. I’ve had it since last October and really love playing it. I haven’t played the other 2 you’re considering but I’m sure they have a lot to offer as well.

Back