Dark Side Of The Moon/Total Eclipse Of The Sun

Crgtr is driving up today from Nashville and spending the night with us in Hoosierland. We are dead center of the 30 mile wide path of the eclipse. Chris is bringing those funny glasses for Lisa and me.

I also suspect that there will be a bunch of git pickin’ as well. I’m hoping to learn a couple of new licks, cause crgtr is a bad mofo!

🌗🌚🌓+🎸🎸🎸
I can’t imagine that being anything but a great day.

It was sunny here today, and though the eclipse was only partial here in S.E. Michigan, the sky did darken, and the sky's colors were very different and interesting.

I was told the next eclipse of this magnitude will be in the 2040s or something.

I'll be deader'n a nail. So this was my last go-around with eclipses. It's kind of weird saying, "Welp, that's the last one I'll see!" Has a certain finality to it.

Last edited:
Back from Mégantic QC at the observatory and it was stellar. 3:29 minutes with 100% of the sun gone. Not a single cloud. It didn't get real dark, mostly because we could see to the West, where the sun was shining. That made it even stranger. Temps dropped by about 10°. There was 2,498 other people around us. I then realized I should have stayed close to home and see it in total silence, just the two of us. We only would have had to drive 15 minutes South to get to the 100% line. Instead we drove to a parking lot 45 minutes away, hopped on a school bus (I remember why I hated school) for an hour and a half drive, all for $75 each. Same awful bus ride to return. Gone 8 hours ...

What amazed me the most, was that we could see sun flares. I didn't bother taking photos, I enjoyed the moment. I knew I would find a zillion photos better than anything I could take. Here's one that pretty much shows what we saw.

untitled-1-jpg.536090
The corona is mesmerizing. I saw the last total eclipse, it was unreal. Saw it on top of Galena Summit in Idaho, so the temps dropped almost 25-30 degrees due to altitude. Birds chirped like it was nightfall. The moon’s shadow sped over us in a massive assault, just crazy. Then you see the ring above, take off your glasses and the corona just dances around the moon in all directions. It was just over 2 minutes, then it all reverses itself. Easily one of the coolest things I’ve ever seen in my life.

#LIKEOPENINGABRANDNEW594

I can’t imagine that being anything but a great day.

It was a great day! New Castle was in the 100% coverage path, and the ring of fire in the sky was mind boggling. Also, lots of guitar picking.
Only bad news is the highways were so jammed packed that it took Chris twice as long both directions. 7 hours each way. He said it was worth it, and I agree.

Chris’s IPhone photo:

I never saw diddly squat. Other than it got a tad dull instead of the bright sunlight. Couldn't find my old welding lid so I couldn't try to see the partial blockage at all. Oh well. But one of my friends down east got some superb photos of the 3/4(?) coverage of it... he lives on the east side of Toronto so he's 2000 kms east and south of me out here in the Alberta northwest.

I Didn't See Much So It Was A Dud For Me. I Looked Without Eye Protection And Didn't Die Or Go Blind So I Guess There Is That. More Sizzle Than Steak For Me On This Event.

It was sunny here today, and though the eclipse was only partial here in S.E. Michigan, the sky did darken, and the sky's colors were very different and interesting.

I was told the next eclipse of this magnitude will be in the 2040s or something.

I'll be deader'n a nail. So this was my last go-around with eclipses. It's kind of weird saying, "Welp, that's the last one I'll see!" Has a certain finality to it.
Australia 2028 could be fun.

I saw it too. Yes there is lights in the sky. Wait a few hours and the sun will go down. Total darkness!!! Don't worry it will come back in a few hours. So you think this eclipse proved China and India went to the moon? 🤯
But, the sun DIDN'T go down, and it got kinda dark anyway because SOMETHING was blocking the sun. Whatever it was, I can verify that it was round, because I saw it. So... what do you think it was?

I Didn't See Much So It Was A Dud For Me. I Looked Without Eye Protection And Didn't Die Or Go Blind So I Guess There Is That. More Sizzle Than Steak For Me On This Event.
I noted something very strange. The sun is SO bright, that even when there was barely a sliver in view with the glasses, if you just glanced up quickly, you'd see a full round sun. Your naked eye couldn't look at even a sliver of the suns intensity and recognize that it was 95% blocked by the moon. And yes, I know you can't look for even a second, but I told others, and they agreed. Take your glasses off, quickly glance up and you'd swear you see the whole sun, but put them on and at one point 95% of it was blocked. I don't understand the phenomena, other than the light being so intense you couldn't look long enough to recognize the blockage.

We drove two hours north. Booked the room last summer, and stuff was already picked over. Traffic was light because we didn't leave until 11 PM because I went to see Buddy Guy.

Ended up avoiding the waterfront and the big activities. Drove around to find a spot, but ultimately ended up just sitting off to the side of the hotel parking lot - no crowd, nice and relaxed. Very cloudy all morning, but things started to clear up around 2 PM. Got a nice little pocket of visibility around totality, so we got to see it all, with just a bit of clouds. Against my own earlier advice, I did take a couple quick iPhone photos, but that was it. This was a bucket list item for me - I've been a space buff almost all my life, but I'd never had a chance to see a total eclipse in person. The difference between a partial and totality is huge. I've seen pictures from here, which was at 97%, and it's not even close to what we saw. To give you an idea, in just the few seconds when the moon started to move past the sun and end totality, it got really bright really fast. It's like putting your hand next to a red hot coal, and putting you hand ON a red hot coal.

The drive home took almost three times as long as normal, and we said we probably should have just spent the night, but it was all totally worth it. I'd do it again tom'w if I could. But given when the next one will be that's anywhere close, this was likely it for me.

I noted something very strange. The sun is SO bright, that even when there was barely a sliver in view with the glasses, if you just glanced up quickly, you'd see a full round sun. Your naked eye couldn't look at even a sliver of the suns intensity and recognize that it was 95% blocked by the moon. And yes, I know you can't look for even a second, but I told others, and they agreed. Take your glasses off, quickly glance up and you'd swear you see the whole sun, but put them on and at one point 95% of it was blocked. I don't understand the phenomena, other than the light being so intense you couldn't look long enough to recognize the blockage.

It took even way less than that. As soon as totality started to end, we had to go back to the eclipse glasses.

I Look Directly At The Sun Roughly About A Half Hour A Day. Maybe I Am Used To It By Now? It Did Take Me A While To Build Up To That Amount Of Time. Feels Great To Do So. Between That And Grounding I Often Times Feel A Significant Difference In How I Feel Overall. I Wish I Began Doing It A Long Time Ago.

I Look Directly At The Sun Roughly About A Half Hour A Day. Maybe I Am Used To It By Now? It Did Take Me A While To Build Up To That Amount Of Time. Feels Great To Do So. Between That And Grounding I Often Times Feel A Significant Difference In How I Feel Overall. I Wish I Began Doing It A Long Time Ago
If you're looking at the sun for 30 minutes a day, I sure hope that you're wearing both your tin foil hat and a condom for protection!

Back