CU 24 Blade vs Knob

micgeo

What do folks think about the different combinations of tones available 5-way vs rotary - since pos 1, 4, 5 are the same, do you prefer the blade's 2nd and 3rd position or the rotary's? Which do you think provides a better range?

The rotary. Having the inner coils in series is more important to me than having both humbuckers together. It sounds much like having them in parallel, but boosted. And having the outer coils together in parallel provides a very unique sound, deep and clear.

The rotary. Having the inner coils in series is more important to me than having both humbuckers together. It sounds much like having them in parallel, but boosted. And having the outer coils together in parallel provides a very unique sound, deep and clear.

I agree, I love the rotary because of the given switching pickup possibilities, but I have problems to find the rotary position related to the different pickup settings.
Is there any advice how to see on the rotary which pickup setting I have...?
Martin

Thanks... all the rotary positions sound good to me and I like the blade position with bridge humbucker and neck single.

I like the rotary better because I can switch it out to McCarty switching! I prefer the utility, feel and look of a 3 way toggle with coil splitting. How about an option for the Artist Series to get either the Rotary or 3-Way Toggle for an appropriate up-charge, how hard could it be? I'd be willing to pay it, it's cheaper than going the PS route! Anybody else?

If I could switch the in between position on the blade to be true single coil neck and bridge instead of the parallel set up that would be perfect.

Does anyone know of a video or audio sample comparing the tones with the rotary vs. those with the blade configuration, apples-to-apples with the same pups? There are lots of videos out there comparing the tones of the different pups, but I haven't found one comparing the tones created by the different combinations used in the rotary vs. the blade. Anyone with both willing to undertake this?

Rotary is too slow for fast pickup changes live. 3 way toggle/push pull or blade for me. I am constantly changing pickups. I play most rhythm on the lead pickup, and most leads on the rhythm pickup! :D

What do folks think about the different combinations of tones available 5-way vs rotary - since pos 1, 4, 5 are the same, do you prefer the blade's 2nd and 3rd position or the rotary's? Which do you think provides a better range?

The first thing i did when i got my C24 was changing the rotary knob for a 3 way switch. Rotary is great, if you don't need to change on the fly the positions.

I personally don't like PRS decision to move to a blade system, that is Fenders thing and not PRS, at least not the heritage i had admire PRS for.

I totally prefer small switches and push pull knobs to the blade system, works the same, a bit slower then the blade but much faster then the rotary.

If i was some day to do a Private Stock i would never put a blade on the guitar, never no matter what, to my eye it takes something away...but that is my very personal view of it.

Back